Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page > Clothes to Wear in BKK Restaurants rhkkmk.

Clothes to Wear in BKK Restaurants rhkkmk.

Jan 30th, 2006, 08:51 PM
Original Poster

Clothes to Wear in BKK Restaurants rhkkmk.

Hi, if we choose to do a couple of restaurants off your list RHKKMK...are they casual, or what do you recommend to wear?? I am bringing tons of really nice shirts/capri pants/shoes..My husband basically wears the shorts and pollo shirt look..Should he bring dress pants??
And if you had to pick one of those restaurants on your guide, for the best Thai ambience and thai food, what would you recommend, we prefer casual atmosphere...Thanks. And do we just take a taxi everywhere when we are dining out?? (from the Marriott Spa)I have lots more questions for later..It is only 5 weeks now til we go..Thanks.
Jan 30th, 2006, 09:00 PM
Original Poster

And i guess I should mention, we will be spending 15 nights in India prior to BKK so i don't think we will be wanting any Indian food..Also, as strange as it may sound, we also like the food court type food as well, find it sometimes to be better than at a restaurant (such as markets)..Know of any good food stall type thai restaurants that you could recommend, or should we just wing it?? I really would like great Thai food..We don't have alot of great Thai restaurants around here...Thanks again.
Jan 30th, 2006, 09:06 PM

everything, with one or two exceptions, in bkk is casual, not shorts however...

i wear chinos always to dinner and a camp shirt or polo type shirt, sometimes even long sleeve (w/starch)...i wear sandals or reg. shoes, not sneakers or skluffs

my wife wears sandals and a blouse and long slacks for dinner, usually linen...

nothing fancy but decent looking...

you do not need any fancy or dress clothes at all...she no longer takes a skirt, but sometimes takes one dress, so if we are invited to a cocktail party at one of the hotels she will feel comfortable...

none of the thai restaurants really have wonderful atmosphere, except the outdoor one at the peninsula, but you might not love the food there...it good but very ethnic...

we like tongue thai for the best food, and the ambiance in this small one room rest. is quite nice....very laid back and relaxing....nothing fancy

we also love harmonique, but it is ecclectic and the service is not great...

gallery cafe is very nice. near to the sheraton....it is attractive, but i did not think the food as good as tongue thai....

spice market is good and a bit upscale and western orientated but expensive...

so my choice would be tongue thai...

it is the first place we will go in october when we are next in bkk...harmonique will be second...

at either make sure you have morning glory with garlic (sort of like spinach or other greens--a veggie dish) and cashew chicken...

if you want to know the truth, we love them all---just stay longer and try them all....that's why we have to go for 5 weeks...
Jan 30th, 2006, 09:09 PM

based on your 2nd post...you have to try the loft at the central chitlom dept. store at the chitlom skytrain stop.....fantastic, upscale cafeteria type place....all food is cooked to order from many stations around the restaurnat....it is on the 7th floor...

others like the mbk food court, but we have passed it up...

also the food court at emporium dept store....also on the skytrain direct access...

i find the problem with many food courts is that the food has been sitting around for some time and is not as fresh as you would like....not so at the loft however....
Jan 30th, 2006, 09:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks those are great answers, i am packing some dress pants and have a few nice skirts...I will have to go buy my growing husband some casual dress pants, or perhaps get some made in Goa..I am going to try the tongue thai, and probably all of of your other recommendations but will leave some to chance..You know when sometimes you are walking and just happen to see somewhere that looks good..I don't like to plan everything!!! But i must admit, i am getting very excited about the trip....I am a little stressed right now with how we will manage our time, but slowly i will piece the trip together..Thanks for you answers, more question later!!
Jan 30th, 2006, 09:22 PM

we too are going to india on the next trip...only 11 days there i think....so i hope you will fill my mind with good places upon your return...we go at the end of october...

don't stress, let things flow normally...i think you will find thailand very easy after india...

bob

if you develop a list for india, please send directly to me...

[email protected]
Jan 30th, 2006, 09:26 PM
Original Poster

This is our 3rd trip to India in the last year and a half..It has become very addictive to us, like BKK is to you!!The first time we did Rajasthan, the second time Kerala, and now Goa.. We just can't get enough..But this time we are going to visit someone that we met when we were there in November..We are staying in a beach resort close to where they live, so it should really be alot of fun!!
We took tours (Imaginative Traveller tours on our first 2 trips, but not this one)..the first one was really adventurous to Rajasthan/Varanasi..Agra..You will love it, it is like another world!!
Jan 30th, 2006, 10:00 PM

If I may add a bit - Bob is absolutely right about dress and particularly about shorts for men. As well as long trousers for restaurants it is necessary for him to wear them if you are going to the palaces - eg the Grand Palace and Vimamek Palace will not allow shorts (men or women)!

Also food halls - great ones all over BKK but the Loft is really good - more expensive than the others but still a great price and the quality and quantity are better. Its rather like eating in a large restaurant with many kitchens. Although you go and choose your food - you can either wait and take it to a table or take the ticket and sit down then the staff will go and collect it for you - tables are reserved when you sit down and cutlery etc is there for you. There is also a beer/wine section and an excellent coffee/cake/icecream bar.
Jan 30th, 2006, 10:08 PM
Original Poster

The Loft sounds really good will add that to my list thanks.

I am already familiar that long pants must be worn in the Grand Palace, have been there before..But thanks anyhow..
Jan 30th, 2006, 10:11 PM
Original Poster

Whoops, i already had the Loft on my list!!
Jan 31st, 2006, 10:02 AM

An alternative: use 'convertible' pants which have legs that zip off. Tour in shorts, zip on your legs when required. Comfortable and acceptable in a wide variety of situations.

And, for those of us who are style conscious, buy 2 pairs by the same manufacturer, mix and match legs and you can have 6 outfits.
Jan 31st, 2006, 10:09 AM

Very few men wear shorts in thailand except at resorts or beaches. You don't need jackets or ties for restaurants but I think your husband will feel very uncomfortable in shorts. Also, pants are better during the day because of the sun and better at night because of mosquitoes.
Jan 31st, 2006, 10:36 AM

About the food courts...when you enter you'll be given a card. Take the card and when you order food, hand it to the food vendor. He/She will add the amount of your food to the card. You can go to various food vendors if you want to try different kinds of food. The total amounts will all go on the same card. Then when you leave, you will stand in the cashier line and hand your card to the cashier and the total will pop up and then pay the cashier for the amount that you've accumulated on the card. Food vendors, at food courts of this type, usually do not handle money. Happy Travels!
Jan 31st, 2006, 10:40 AM

By the way, the LOFT food court is INSIDE the Central Department store at the Chitlom skytrain stop. It's on the top level. Happy Travels!
Jan 31st, 2006, 12:38 PM

I have to laugh that anyone would ask Bob for fashion advice... after all, he wear socks with his sandals! (oops-for Bob, "sandles")
Jan 31st, 2006, 01:20 PM

Thanks Kathie-my sentiments exactly. You even got the (mis) spelling right. Hopefully, Tracy can sort out Bob's valuable advice, e.g., food and activities, from his ridiculous advice, e.g., attire and pool attendence. Does anyone remember the pictures from the Boston GTG? This alone should be enough to disqualify him from sartorial suggestions.
Jan 31st, 2006, 06:46 PM
Original Poster

You guys are funny!! But honestly, last time we were in BKK, my husband wore shorts the whole time except in the wats/restaurants...Do men really not wear shorts when they are out and about walking around BKK??
Jan 31st, 2006, 07:28 PM

My boyfriend won't wear shorts into restaurants at night, nor into the wats, of course, but why not while shopping and just cruising around? I have seen many photos of people in Bangkok wearing shorts.
Jan 31st, 2006, 08:09 PM

I just got off the plane from BKK in Chicago at noon today. I wore comfy tennis shoes and sandals, depending on where I was going, most days. I also took along a comfortable pair of loafer style shoes to wear with cotton socks. DO listen when people tell you about the bottoms of your feet getting hot in the heat and humidity of BKK and Thailand. The hot pavement can be brutal. It's the truth!! You will need thick soles for protection.

You see the tourists wearing shorts, not the Thais. I noticed this most definitely on this trip. It was my 9th trip to BKK and I tried to take note of things like style of dress. If the Thais went to places like Siam Paragon, they were dressed appropriately for such an upscale shopping venue. If they were at Pratunam, MBK, or the new Platinum mall, they were dressed more casually. But not in shorts!!

Tracy, my own favorite place for casual Thai food would be Face. I did not make it there on this trip that I've just finished, and I regret that. I also did not make it back to the Bed Supper Club. The trip was just tooooo short!! Two weeks is not enough, but it was all I could squeeze out at this time.

Carol
Jan 31st, 2006, 08:17 PM

sorry to report that my spelling is the correct one....all dictionaries are incorrect....

zip off pants are the same to me as wearing shorts....they scream farang westerner....just my prejudice....

for the last year or two i have been seeing many more shorts on the locals in town as well so i think things are changing....i just find that i do not wish to be hampered in places i want to go by wearing shorts....on any outing i might do the following: shopping, temple visit, palace visit, upscale restaurant dining, spa, etc....so you need to be prepared for everything and long pants it is for me....i do not find them one bit hotter than shorts either and my legs are protected from sun and filth as well...

Search this Thread