Clothes for Viet Nam trip- Feb/March

Jan 25th, 2017, 04:14 AM
ajc
Original Poster

Clothes for Viet Nam trip- Feb/March

I am going on a 3 week trip to Viet Nam starting in the north Feb. 20 and then heading south until March 11. Wonder what clothes you might suggest for that time period for a woman. I am guessing I'll have cool temps in the north and hot in the south. Thanks in advance for the suggestions.
Jan 25th, 2017, 06:26 AM

Take a look at one of the weather websites. I use weatherbase.com You will want layers, as you are right, you will likely encounter a broad range of weather conditions, especially if you are going far north, like SaPa. If the farthest north you will be going is Hanoi, you'll find the temps to be moderate.
Jan 25th, 2017, 12:51 PM

Me and the cook land in Hanoi on 10 February and leave on 24 February. 8 nights in and around Hanoi, and 6 in Quy Nhon [south of Hoi An].

Clothing = shorts + t-shirts + gilet + light fleece. Anything else needed, buy on the spot.
Jan 25th, 2017, 12:53 PM

PS. Sapa might disappoint, do your homework.
Jan 25th, 2017, 02:09 PM

Anything else needed, buy on the spot.

This is good advice if you are sized like a vietnamese person.

If you are larger than about a woman"s 8, or have long arms or legs, it can be a problem finding clothes that fit in many parts of SE Asia.
Jan 25th, 2017, 09:35 PM

I always take two pairs of those convertible pants. They are made of parachute material, and they have a zipper that makes them into shorts. They are good for doing any sort of walking or hiking. If you live in the US, get the REI brand.

I also take two North Face 1/4 zip fleece pullovers that I got at Nordstrom. They weigh almost nothing, and you can wad them up.

Also, get an umbrella with a wind shield. You can use it for rain, and as a parasol when the sun is out.
Jan 26th, 2017, 07:32 AM

Bring clothes that will wash and dry easily. Even if you send them out to a laundromat, they hang them out to dry. Pack layers, and convertible (or roll up) pants. Also bring shoes that can get wet (water shoes) in case it rains. Also an umbrella. People don't wear raincoats.

I also had some pickpocket proof clothes (and purse). Pickpocket proof pants and clever travel companion are two brands I like. I like the Travelon purses.

I didn't have any clothes made in VN. I did buy a couple of things off the rack, but the selection of clothes available to you is probably greater where you live.
Jan 26th, 2017, 11:32 PM

<<>>

Cheap plastic pochos seem to appear out of nowhere when the heavens open. One of the great people watching experiences in Vietnam is when it rains. Find a covered cafe or bar and be amazed.
Jan 26th, 2017, 11:44 PM

Excellent suggestions from internetwiz! Particularly re pickpocket proof clothes. I never travel without zipped front pockets! Mind you, if I were a woman, I would definitely be wearing skirts in the south at that time of year, as it is I am forced by convention to wear shorts

I recall being in the north around Sapa in March a few years ago and getting 75f and blue skies one day and snow the next! Layers are definitely the way to go. I take Merino base layers which are light, warm, breathable and pack up really small.
Jan 27th, 2017, 12:14 AM

Crellston, why not post that link that explains your packing tips and photograph of your ever so neatly packed bag?
Jan 27th, 2017, 07:21 AM

I will be in Vietnam similar times as OP, arriving Hanoi Feb. 22, then to Hoi An/Hue a few days later, in Phong Nha Feb. 27-28, then back to Hanoi for Mai Chau/Ninh Binh area, depart Vietnam March 7. I am starting to think about packing and noticed it has been very cold and rainy this year in Hanoi and central areas. I have 2 cave tours planned for Phong Nha, one is the all day Paradise Cave trek that involves getting totally wet while swimming in the cave. I am concerned that it will be too cold to do this tour. I cannot find any accurate weather information for Phong Nha area.
Jan 27th, 2017, 10:17 PM

@Susiesan<<>>

Are you allowing enough time for all that?
Jan 29th, 2017, 07:00 AM

LL: We have a private tour lined up and are flying between some locales so as to save time. Arrive Hanoi midnight 2/21. 2 nts Hanoi
fly to Danang 2/23 for 3 nights Hoi An
drive to Hue 2/26 1 ngt
drive to Phong Nha 2/27 for 2 ngts
fly Dong Hoi-Hanoi 3/1 then driving tour Ninh Binh and Mai Chau
back to Hanoi 3/5 for 2 nights
depart 3/7 midnight flight

This is our second visit to Vietnam and I don't mind moving about. Some of the places we visit are second time, some are new. For our travel style, we have plenty of time for each locale.
Jan 30th, 2017, 01:31 AM

<<>>

That's the important thing. Hope you keep to schedule.....enjoy.
Jan 30th, 2017, 08:06 AM

I still cannot find any accurate weather information for Phong Nha area. I don't know how to dress for visiting the caves or whether it will be warm enough for swimming.

What's a good weather web site the shows Phong Nha? None of the major ones do.
Jan 30th, 2017, 08:57 AM

http://www.accuweather.com/en/vn/pho...weather/418626

Seems as though the weather will be warming up and dry by the time upypu go but weather is unpredictable in Vietnam in current yearsand forecasts anywhere are notoriously unreliable. As with most cave systems, you don't want to be visiting just after the rains as it can often take a few days for water levels to subside (and the caves could be closed). It may pay to have som wiggle room in your itinerary.

From what I gather from some research i have done for our forthcoming trip in May\June and from past experience, it pays to take clothes you are prepared to leave behind because of the mud. I have swam in a few cave and always regretted it - too cold. Maybe I am just a wimp.