Christmas in HK/China - Itinerary Help

Nov 7th, 2002, 12:40 PM
Sandra

Christmas in HK/China - Itinerary Help

My husband are flying to HK on Dec. 20 and will be leaving on Jan. 3. We would like to see more than just Hong Kong while we are on that side of the world. We would like to go to Shanghai and Beijing but have been told it will be too cold. Hainan island was another suggestion. I would be grateful for any itinerary suggestions.

Nov 7th, 2002, 02:04 PM
Josh98

Shanghai and Beijing are both possible, and their winter climates are quite different. Beijing will be snowy, Shanghai just foggy and cold.On the other hand, Guilin is only cool and a wonderful place, easier to get to from HK too. You could also consider Kunming in Yunnan, known as the "spring" city because it always is. Hainan will be very crowded with Chinese tourists this time of the year.Those two areas alone (Guilin and Kunming) would fill your time easily.

Nov 8th, 2002, 05:10 PM
John

Since you have a considerable amount of time, if you stay in HK for 4/5 days, that still leaves you around 8 days. I think you can do 2 short trips (4 days each) with that amount of time. That gives you lots of choices: Beijing, SHanghai, Hainan, Guilin... I think Hainan is not a bad choice if you're looking for a "beach" vacation. There's a new spa resort in Sanya which is quite good. And although it is cold, if it's ur first trip to China, I think it's worthwhile to go to Beijing. However, I would recommand you to stay in HK for wither Christmas or New Year's Eve. It's quite fun.

Nov 14th, 2002, 10:48 AM
Lauren

I lived in HK for 7 months and loved it- I was able to see a lot of Asia and have some recommendations- depending on what you're looking for.

Although it's likely that Beijing would be snowy that time of year- I was in Beijing the weekend b4 Xmas 4 yrs ago and had beautiful, sunny (but cold) weather. The Great Wall, Forbidden City, and Summer Palace are all amazing to see- so it's worth the visit even if you have to bundle up!

Guilin (recommended by Josh) is another great idea- you can see China's beautiful country and mountains. You could work a tour of Guilin & Beijing in from HK.

Re: Shanghai- I heard it's just another big city- unless you're really into big cities- it may not be worth the time on your trip.

I would definitely recommend being in HK for New Year's - there will be tons to do. Five days should be sufficient to see the sites. If you want HK recommendations, let me know- I can email you something I wrote up for someone else.

- Lauren

Nov 14th, 2002, 01:22 PM
Kris

I konw it's not China, but we just combined Hong Kong and Bangkok. The flight to Bangkok was under 3 hours, average December temperature is in the 70s. I used a local Hong Kong travel agent to get the airfare and hotel in Bangkok, www.tiglion.com

Nov 15th, 2002, 06:49 PM
Sandra

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. John...what is the name of the resort you referred to in Sanya?
Lauren..I would appreciate any extra info you have on Hong Kong.
Thanks again!

Nov 16th, 2002, 09:40 PM
John

I am sorry but I really forgot the exact name of that resort. What I remember is that it's a spa resort that opened earlier this year (around June I think). Maybe you can also try to contact a travel agent (or Dragonair holidays if you're going to leave from Hong Kong).