Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Christmas in Bangkok-priceline to the rescue!

Apr 20th, 2005, 10:13 PM
Original Poster

Anyone contemplating Christmas period in Bangkok should note the Westin Grande Sukhumvit was available today at US80 plus taxes through priceline.com. I bid 5* Riverside-no go at US80, added Sukhumvit & got the Westin. Looks & sounds OK and the best rate was US129++ on SPG.com so we're laughing or at least smiling! Happy days!
Apr 21st, 2005, 06:51 AM

anxious to hear your impressions of this hotel after your stay...location is certainly great....i have been noticing that it is the only hotel appearing in bkk lately on priceline...oh for the days of the shangri-la at $55.................it may come back or so sheryl (the bitch/witch) says....
Apr 21st, 2005, 04:34 PM
Original Poster

Hi Bob-not holding our breaths for the Shangri-La, are we!

Heard good and bad re Westin but for Xmas period it certainly isn't a bad price. If you or anyone else here is near the Westin, in May/June or whenever, would it be asking too much to check the place out? I'm sure others here would appreciate your opinion, but I'll certainly understand if you do not have the opportunity.

I'd love to have got the Marriott Resort but it's out of our price range for this period, at US199++ for a standard room. We're tacking on India (for the third time) & Sri Lanka (our first visit) to our Dec trip so should be great fun, once more. Hope you both have a wondeful trip in May and that you don't have to carry too much stuff back for that shopper wife of yours!
Apr 21st, 2005, 06:29 PM

please put me on your calendar for around july 1....ask me what i found at the westin....i will definately check it out for you....my address is:

[email protected]
Apr 21st, 2005, 08:02 PM
Original Poster

Bob, thanks a bunch. Much appreciated.
Apr 22nd, 2005, 04:42 AM

Good morning from the good 'ole USA once again!! We arrived home from ZRH safe and sound last night.

Bob, looks like the ORD-BKK trip for the next few weeks is a NO GO. It's just too crazy around here to even consider a quick getaway. Sorry... that bowl of chili will have to wait for another time.

With that in mind, we WILL be looking for BKK/Phuket for the holidays this year once again. I've not done any pricing or hotel searching yet, but this Westin deal does sound great! The only drawback is, we like serviced apartments best.

Carol
Apr 22nd, 2005, 07:28 AM

carol---you are such a disappointment...now i will have to eat two bowls of chili myself....hope its not too heavy on the beans....

how bout those europe prices???
Apr 22nd, 2005, 08:02 AM

I just mentioned something on those prices, it is actually fascinating on the Europe board when they talk prices, how much for a manicure, how much for 'tea', and it appears that Italy isn't even that bad compared with some other European countries. Eastern Europe is gaining in popularity it seems mainly on cost.
So you all 'have to ' promise me when leaving that tip to remember the average waiter/waitress here gets about B3,500-4,000 <$90-100)plus tips per month and do it with a smile, and don't begrudge that extra $1 or so when shopping for bargains. promise now!!
Trouble now is that Italy has been replaced with the knowlegde that Disney opens in HK later in the year!
Apr 22nd, 2005, 04:20 PM

Bob
Sorry to disappoint you. I really do wish I could come to BKK in just a few weeks, but I'm afraid it isn't in the cards.

We paid at least $150/night, every night, in Switzerland. And the rooms are pretty "average" but very civilized. Zurich is more expensive than a place such as Neuchatel or Lugano. Italy isn't quite that bad, but still not a bargain destination.

LOVE the food in Italy though. It almost makes up for the cost of a hotel when you can feast on such wonderful pasta and cheeses and wines.

Carol

Apr 22nd, 2005, 04:27 PM
Original Poster

Carol-don't you just love Asia, specifically Thailand & of course India for bargain prices on food and accomodation?

Most of Europe is far too expensive for us Aussie wheelypackers! Glad you had a great trip!
Apr 22nd, 2005, 05:51 PM

Lyndie
Asia is absolutely a great vacation destination. I dearly love going to Thailand and have been going for at least twice a year since 2001. I've not been to India. It hasn't made it to my "list" yet, but maybe someday.

Europe is outrageously expensive (but DH and I are still there at least two times a year). We have a number of friends there and always enjoy seeing them. DH does a lot of business in Europe (but not in Asia).
Carol