Christmas and new year in thailand

Nov 9th, 2009, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

Christmas and new year in thailand

Hi , My family 2 adults 2 kids, 12 and 17 years , would like to visit Thailand this Christmas - we are looking for a get away from it all beach holiday with a chance to learn to dive .

We just have 2 weeks dec 18 to jan 2 and are coming from Vancouver Canada.

Tips and advice would be appreciated. Thanks
Nov 9th, 2009, 03:00 PM

I'd say go for it, eh?
Nov 9th, 2009, 03:53 PM

Have you looked at fares and hotels yet? I paid double what I usually end of paying for my ORD-BKK ticket for just about the same dates in Dec/Jan. Also, many hotels along the Thai beaches will already be sold out, because it is peak season, and many people return to the same places, year after year. What sort of place(s) are you hoping to find?
Carol
Nov 9th, 2009, 06:50 PM

hotels are at their most expensive at that time of year also...but don't let that deter you...

look at the meridien at khoa lak
sheraton at krabi

not knowing your budget of course...??

you have to act fast for something good as many places are full up already...

hotel sites--

www.asiarooms.com
www.agoda.com
www.sawadee.com

all are prepays so don't buy until you are absolutely sure of your plans...

cheap flights internally on air asia
Nov 9th, 2009, 11:31 PM

Christmas and new year in thailand - Hi , My family 2 adults 2 kids, 12 and 17 years , would like to visit Thailand this Christmas - we are looking for a get away from it all beach holiday with a chance to learn to dive .

We just have 2 weeks dec 18 to jan 2 and are coming from Vancouver Canada.

Tips and advice would be appreciated. Thanks
Nov 10th, 2009, 12:03 AM

If you are definitely committed to learning to dive then Khao Lak on a liveaboard dive trip would be your best option. A PADI openwater course is usually done over a 4 day period. The lessons are comprised of theory sessions (approx 2 hours perday) and practical dive sessions ( maybe 2 per days). You can do most of theory before you leave home and just finish off with the practical open water sessions in Thailand.

The diving from KL is centred around the Similan and Surin islands and is hands down, the best Thailand has to offer. Many of teh sites are also good for snorkelling.

There are also many dive schools in Phuket but the sites are nowhere near as pristine as KL but you could possibly remain land based. Phi Phi is another option but the last time I dived there(10years + ago) the reefs were in a really bad condition Koh Tao is another option but I am not sure about the weather there at this time of year. (if it is ok then this should be considered as the dive sites are very close to the islands.

Choose your dive operator carefully as they are NOT all the same!