Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Chinese visa for US resident/citizen in Thailand

Old Feb 8th, 2007, 09:18 AM
Original Poster

We are going to Thailand next week and we plan to go to China from there. Can we get a Chinese visa from there? Is it harder and easier to do it there? I am a Thai born with US green card and my husband is a US citizen.

Anybody has a real experience about this?
Any inputs are welcome!! Thanks in advance!!!
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 10:36 AM

if you are near to a chinese diplomatic legation (washington, nyc or maybe chicago and/or LA)i think i would consider going there in person (both of you) and wait for the visa there...

you might also be able to do it in hong kong easily...

in any case expect long lines and delays...

bkk might be ok, but i certainly would not want to take away from my trip for that purpose...

consider one of the visa procurement companies, in usa or bangkok, who might be able to do it on a expediated plan for you for a price..

NEXT TIME PLAN AHEAD
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 10:37 AM

There should be no problem. You husband will likely pay a higher fee than you, because China charges US and a few other countries more than regular rate. Doesn't matter where you apply for it.
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 04:09 PM

As noted, prices will vary on a tit for tat basis, so will the time taken to process the application, so make sure that you have ample time.

Old Feb 8th, 2007, 04:15 PM

Once you're in Thailand get a travel agent to apply for you. They have 2 fees one for a rush(1 - 2 days) job and the normal application will take about 3 - 4 days. The travel agent will be able to apply for both Thai and non Thai passport holder. Be careful as Chinese New Year is just around the corner and the embassy will be close for several days!
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 05:42 PM

I live in Hong Kong and its actually much easier and faster to get a PRC visa here than it is in the US, you can get them in 2-3 days. (I have even had friends from the US mail me their passports and I have gotten their PRC visas here for them). I am assuming it will be the same in Thailand. Website for the PRC embassy in Bangkok is at http://www.chinaembassy.or.th/eng/.

From my quick look, it does not appear that they are open at all on Saturdays to process visas, so you better get there on a weekday. Also, as noted above, Chinese New Year starts next week and the embassy will be closed for the week from Feb 19-23. The week of Feb 19 is not really a good time to go to the PRC if that is your plan IMO, as LOADS of people are traveling that week.