Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

China visa - single or double entry req'd if travelling to Hong Kong via southern China and decide to go back to mainland to shop?

China visa - single or double entry req'd if travelling to Hong Kong via southern China and decide to go back to mainland to shop?

Old Aug 21st, 2005, 01:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going to Hong Kong with Intrepid overland from Hanoi. Just wondering if when we get to Hong Kong at the end of the trip if we decide to go shopping on mainland will our single entry visa still be valid?
Old Aug 21st, 2005, 02:49 AM

You will need a double-entry visa if you want to go shopping in Shenzhen or Guangzhou after having entered Hong Kong from China.
Old Aug 21st, 2005, 03:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Rizzuto.

Would you recommend shopping on mainland compared to Hong Kong?

Am interested in outlets especially for outdoor clothing/equipment. Where would you go?

Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 03:25 AM

Shenzhen is the primary place where you can take a day trip from HK (Guangzhou is also possible, but a lot more difficult). You can generally find a lot of inexpensive items in Shenzhen, but you need to be careful to make sure that the quality is acceptable. If you want to go to Shenzhen for shopping, Ellen McNally's shopping guide is essential (available via the Web).

If you've already come from China, I'd probably stick to HK for shopping.
Old Aug 29th, 2005, 07:22 PM

OK, I don't have the latest edition of Suzy Gresham's Born to Shop Hong Kong (which you may want to get if you are really serious) but my suggestions would be as follows:

1. Stanley Market, you have to really take time to look here, wander all the small shops, and ask, they often keep this stuff towards the back, as there is not a lot of demand for outdoor gear other than some hiking gear, mostly shoes. However, it is a very pleasant way to spend the day even if you don't find anything, do stop for lunch at any one of the several good restaurants along the water, my favorite is the Boathouse, the first one along the water on the main village street. To get to Stanley from Central, take the 6A or 6 bus from the Central Bus terminus, sit upstairs preferably in the front seat and enjoy one of the most fun rides in the world, IMO, as the bus goes up and over the mountain and down into the Southside. A real bargain at about HIK$9.

2. The outlets at Kaiser Estate in Hung Hom, Kowloon. I have not done this myself, and am relying on info from friends. Apparently, you can take the 5 C bus from the Star Ferry piers at Hung Hom, alight when you reach Ma Tau Wai Road. You are looking for buildings on Man Yue Street, and Hok Yuen Street. A map of this area is helpful, you hotel may have one, or the Hong Kong tourist office may have one. You can also take a taxi, cost should be under HK$50 from the Star Ferry.

3. Dickson Warehouse – carries sporting goods, but you may have to hunt for outdoor hear other than shoes. Located at the Kowloon MTR station on the Kowloon side. Take a look at http://www.dicksoncyber.com/mall.htm

I don’t know much about Shenzhen or elsewhere in the PRC other than to echo the sentiments above that the quality is often not good and you get what you (don’t) pay for. I understand that Korea is a good place for outdoor gear, so maybe next trip. . . .

Do a good bit of comparison shopping at home before you go so you know whether or not you are in fact getting a bargain. Negotiate fairly strongly, cash always gets a better price than a credit card, bulk orders deserve a bulk discount. The one thing you may find a problem is sizing, it may be hard to find larger western sizes.