Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (
-   Asia (
-   -   china visa (

garnsie Dec 5th, 2014 09:44 PM

china visa
Hi all, would really appreciate any guidance on the query below. Thanks!
I will be flying from Bangkok to Changsha on a single entry L Visa. I want to make my way south by land to Hong Kong but then re enter China a few days later. Is this possible with my single entry visa ie now that HK is part of China would I actually be classed as leaving?? If not is it possible whilst in china to get my visa changed to multi entry? Thanks any help much appreciated.

sophiefriedman Dec 6th, 2014 12:01 AM

Hi garnsie. You cannot re-enter China from Hong Kong on a single-entry L visa. You also cannot change your visa once you're in China. From Hong Kong, you can get another L visa to come back into China. Keep in mind that it's a bit pricy and takes a few days, so set aside enough time in Hong Kong to get the visa sorted.

rkkwan Dec 6th, 2014 01:12 AM

Or just get another Chinese visa prior to going to Changsha.

JPDeM Dec 9th, 2014 06:46 AM

Depending on where you are going and how, you might want to investigate the transit without visa rules. If you plan to return to visit a few laces then you definitely need a new visa. Hong Kong is a good place to get one although it seems to depend on your nationality recently.

temppeternh Dec 9th, 2014 08:13 PM

Visas are routinely available the next day from agencies in Hong Kong at no extra charge. The Beijing government's own representative offices and those of China Travel Service should be avoided as being slower, or more expensive at speed, and requiring more documentation. Some agencies are unable to accept applications from US citizens, if you happen to be one of those, in which case you may have to work with CTS. But the situation changes frequently. Try these:

Forever Bright Trading Ltd., Room 916–917, New Mandarin Plaza Tower B, 14 Science Museum Road,, 8.30am–6.30pm; Mon–Fri

Japan Travel Agency Ltd., Room 509–513, East Ocean Center, 98 Granville Road, 8.30am–6pm; Mon–Fri.

Visa-free transit is unlikely to be of any interest to you since it only works with a very limited number of cities, only lasts 72 hours, requires that you fly in and already be holding an onward ticket, and requires you to stay within the city boundaries.

If you've time, then scrapping your single-entry visa and going back to your source for a double-entry, if they'll give you one, is probably the most convenient option, as rkkwan suggested, unless you found it a particular hassle wherever that was. At the Hong Kong agencies mentioned above, and similar, it's typically about ten minutes to apply, and a couple of minutes to pick up the next day (for the same price CITS charges for five days, and sometimes less).

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:17 PM.