China Travel warnings

Jan 7th, 2019, 07:38 AM
Original Poster

China Travel warnings

The State Dept recently sent a travel warning about China. Apparently, the government is using foreigners as pawns in various ways by refusing to allow them to leave.

Is this impacting on your decision to ravel there? My wife is obsessed with safety and now refuses to go on our planned trip. HELP!

David
Jan 7th, 2019, 09:37 AM

Yes, I read the news about the State Dept. warning about travel to China with some sadness and we, too, had been thinking of a trip this year.

I am with your wife, I do not want to take a chance as one does not know what the Chinese govt. can order for US passport holders. One of the biggest problem is also the language and thus another hurdle in explaining why we are there.

No one will pay any attention to the fact that we are mere tourists who are in the country just to enjoy the sights, the food the culture etc.
So, will wait till things get better. Do not want to take a chance traveling to China. I am pretty sad just thinking about this ordeal.
Jan 7th, 2019, 01:14 PM

If I had a trip already planned, I would still go unless I were a journalist.
Jan 7th, 2019, 01:20 PM

If I had no trip planned, I might decide to avoid China based on this warning, but if I had a trip already planned, no way would I cancel.

First, this is only a Level 2 warning, Level 2 warnings are in place for countries like the UK.

Second, the probability of an insignificant tourist getting caught up in this is exceedingly remote. Now, if you have a high profile IRL, that is another matter.
Jan 7th, 2019, 01:55 PM

With this new warning, China is now at level 2, same as the UK, France, Germany, Holland, Mexico, etc. No reason to cancel a trip to any of these countries.
Understand that a few thousand Americans enter China every day.
Jan 8th, 2019, 03:38 AM

However, if you look chinese, have chinese ancestry, even if USA citizen since birth, the CCP (china communist party) feels that if you are on chinese soil, then the CCP has some kind of grip on your collar whether you like it or not.

The CCP maintains that all persons of Han ancestry are, by racial dictate, subject to chinese (CCP) laws.

White folks have less to worry about, in china. Well, white folk have different worries, like whether left-handed chopstick use is permitted.
Jan 8th, 2019, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by jobin View Post
The CCP maintains that all persons of Han ancestry are, by racial dictate, subject to chinese (CCP) laws.
Not really.
Jan 8th, 2019, 08:56 AM

"Level 2 warnings are in place for countries like the UK." Which says far more about the US State Departments overcautious attitude than it does about the actual reality of the security situation in these countries.
Jan 10th, 2019, 05:03 PM

I really don't understand why US tourists financially support the Chinese government's Big Brother limitation of individual rights.
That said, I would assume use of any cell phone by a tourist for any purpose was being monitored by the Chinese government's bureaucracy.
Likewise, I wouldn't say anything whatsoever religious, even in private.
Similarly, I wouldn't say anything including the words Taipei, Formosa, or Taiwan.
Jan 11th, 2019, 07:58 AM

FYI Tomboy, I have attended two catholic weddings in China. And I have several friend working in China who are Taiwanese. They certainly talk about Taiwan all the time.
In any case, one is free to choose or avoid tourist destination on the basis of political beliefs. There are certainly a lot of tourists avoiding the US for this reason.
Jan 13th, 2019, 06:24 PM

No need to worry about this at all. It makes no sense to cancel a trip you already booked.
Jan 13th, 2019, 11:45 PM

As a Canadian ( and we know they are pissed off at us right now) I wouldn't go to China right now.. however.. even before we were in do do with China I wouldnt have gone there as I refuse to use a single one of my tourist dollars to support a country that has so many human rights abuses.. ( and you better believe they do ) and who still exploit their own people.. ( the poor ones anyways )
Jan 13th, 2019, 11:55 PM

Wow, sounds like you are quite familiar with China but unfortunately you've never been there. So personally, I don't think you could say that. AFAIK, many Canadians travel to China every year before what happened recently. It is a great place to travel to and may not be that great to live. But still, how could I say that?!
Jan 14th, 2019, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by justineparis View Post
As a Canadian ( and we know they are pissed off at us right now) I wouldn't go to China right now.. however.. even before we were in do do with China I wouldnt have gone there as I refuse to use a single one of my tourist dollars to support a country that has so many human rights abuses.. ( and you better believe they do ) and who still exploit their own people.. ( the poor ones anyways )
Pissed off at Canada? Most Chinese like Canada or don't care. Many have family here. This Canadian company is sure not suffering from any backlash: https://www.thebeijinger.com/blog/20...ada-goose-shop
Jan 14th, 2019, 10:01 AM

Are you guys NOT keeping up on what is happening.. pay attention.

Yesterday the Chinese court RE SENTENCED a Canadian .. to death.

He was convicted of abetting in drug smuggling.. very bad... in 2014. and sentenced to 15 yrs in jail.. . but just yesterday they CHANGED his sentence to DEATH .. no new evidence.. just a change of an already applied sentence..

Try that in Canada or the USA .. what .. you say we wouldnt do that .. thats right.. we wouldnt ..

I don't care how nice the individual people may be.. how awesome the sights may be, the government is corrupt as hell .

PS if you dont think that woman was up to no good then you are a fool.. its not like a Chinese citizen hasn't been convicted of a crime in Canada or the States before.. but has their government EVER made such a stink about it.. no.. just for Huawei ! Why??
Jan 14th, 2019, 02:41 PM

We read news but your facts are wrong. In China you'd get a death sentence for even less drugs than this person was smuggling (and China is not the only country with this sort of stiff penalty). He was sentenced to 15 years which was incredibly light but, in a not very smart move, he decided to appeal the lenient sentence. They did not just change his sentence, get your facts straight. He is the one who appealed. He got off "easy" and decided to push his luck.
I don't see why you come to the China forum if you have never been there and have no useful advice.
Jan 14th, 2019, 08:41 PM

Iím reading this thread with interest, because China is fairly high on my list due to a former classmate living there.

What are the actual restrictions on tourists in China besides the whole Facebook thing? Because thatís the one I see most often on the forums, and I donít really care much about it. So I was wondering what else (if anything) directly impacts visitors?

I think China is problematic in terms of human/animal rights, but I think that about a lot of countries including the US. I donít like the death penalty period, but I have zero sympathy for drug smugglers, and I have a feeling that many Canadians (or Americans) would feel the same. China is most likely doing it for political reasons, admittedly, but the guy had already been found guilty, and apparently had also served time in Canada for trafficking. He isnít an innocent tourist.
Jan 14th, 2019, 09:19 PM
kja

Originally Posted by marvelousmouse View Post
I was wondering what else (if anything) directly impacts visitors?.
For some very broad generalizations (and acknowledging that there will be exceptions):
  • Because of limited access to information and educational biases, guides often do not have accurate information about the places they take people. One generally does much better to do one's own research about these places before visiting them, and to visit them on one's own.
  • Tours are notorious for their shopping stops and are very rarely a good idea.
  • Taxi drivers in larger cities have learned that many Westerners will accept negotiated payment rates rather than use the meter, and the negotiated rates are often 10 or more times what the meter rate would be.
Jan 15th, 2019, 01:53 AM

I had a travel plan with verizon when we were in China and got on facebook all the time BTW. This was last Sept.
Jan 15th, 2019, 06:32 AM

It appears that you can get round the firewall by using data on your phone instead of wifi. If you live in the US and don't want to pay extortionate rates, look into T-Mobile.

Search this Thread