Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   China's best time to visit (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/chinas-best-time-to-visit-588377/)

eli22 Feb 5th, 2006 09:08 AM

China's best time to visit

Hi there,
I would like to know please which are the best months to travel south and west of china ? I intend to spend there half a year
thank you

rkkwan Feb 5th, 2006 09:46 AM

I guess nobody answered you the first time.

Anyways, for southern China, better go in the fall and return in spring. Summer will be hot hot hot.

Parts of the SW is really nice, and you can go anytime. In fact, Kunming in Yunnan Province is known to have "Spring weather in all 4 seasons".

bhuty Feb 7th, 2006 03:44 PM

south in spring and fall west in summer

is that what you meant rkkwan?

if so then my only contribution is....

fullstop

rkkwan Feb 7th, 2006 03:57 PM

Actually, I am not sure what the OP's asking. If he/she means when to pick the half-year stay, with the intention of traveling mostly to the W and S, then I say go between fall and spring.

But if the question is simply when to visit the S and W; then I say go visit the S in the winter; to the W, it depends on where exactly - as I said, the SW (Yunnan, etc) can be visit anytime; but if it's the higher elevations of Sichuan or even Tibet/Qinghai, then those need to be visited in summer time.

eli22 Feb 9th, 2006 09:30 AM

Thank you guys but can you be more specific.I want to know which MONTHS are the best to travel ?

rkkwan Feb 9th, 2006 09:38 AM

To where? "South and west of China" covers a lot of grounds. I've already said it, to the very south (i.e. Guangdong, Fujian, Guangxi, Hainan, etc) go in the winter time.

"West" means where? Just the province of Sichuan alone has attractions that are closed during all the winter months due to snow; while other parts can be very hot during summer months.

eli22 Feb 10th, 2006 05:35 AM

well,rkkwan
I want to travel China for six successive months.My itinerary roughly speaking is landing at Hong Kong then going to Guanxi ,Guizhou,Yunnan,Sichuan,Chinghaiand then Turpan ,Kashagar and if enough time Xian,Datong and Beijin.As I said my starting point is at Hong Kong doing the 'C' route as described.I believe I will fly on May or June for following six months.I would like to know please if it is a suitable time to visit these places? I don't want to meet unbearable weather conditions like extreme cold or heavy snow inducing me to stay indoors!
Let me ask it in a different way ,if YOU rkkwan are going to visit China and choose my itinerary,when will you fly taking into account the best choice concerning the weather ?
Thank you very much !

rkkwan Feb 10th, 2006 08:31 AM

eli22 -

I see. You'll be in China from May/June till Nov/Dec.

Now, the places with real time limitation is the NW - Qinghai, Kashgar, etc... You cannot go too late. That you need to plan ahead and find time in early fall - October will be perfect.

Beijing & Datong also not too late. Go before late November.

It's going to be hot everywhere in the summer. But Guizhou and Yunnan, with their slightly higher elevation, may be more acceptable than other areas.

But if you're limited to a set route over a particular time, then I don't see you have much choice. You can go anywhere in the summer, it's just going to be hot, that's all.

USNR Feb 10th, 2006 09:49 AM

October is known in China as "the golden time" -- weather is at its best.

eli22 Feb 11th, 2006 12:42 AM

THANK YOU !