Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Chicken/Avian Flu (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/chicken-avian-flu-481284/)

Gpanda Oct 19th, 2004 11:35 AM

Chicken/Avian Flu

My cousin, who will be acco,panying us to Thailand in November, forwarded an article to me about the death of several tigers in a private zoo in thailand due to the Avian Flu. The gist of the story was that the tigers were fed the carcasses of cchickens infected with the Avian Flu. Does anyone have any information on this? have there been any cases of people contracting Avian Flu from eating chicken? Thanks.

Kathie Oct 19th, 2004 11:37 AM

The cdc website has a special section on the avian flu.

I have not read the report about the tigers, who, (if the report is true) no doubt ate the chickens uncooked. There have been no reports of transmission of the avian flu to people via eating chicken or eggs.

Guenmai Oct 19th, 2004 11:58 AM

I don't know if people can get it...but when I was at the Four Seasons Hotel...Bangkok... in August there was a sign at the breakfast buffet counter stating that eggs would only be cooked well-done due to the chicken virus.So, they were being cautious. Happy Travels!

Gpanda Oct 19th, 2004 12:35 PM

Thanks Kathie and Guenmai. I'm not worried, but I do want to be semi-knowledgeable for the newbies that are coming along this time. Kathie, I'm staying in the Towers after reading your posts. Even if it's not wonderful, I'll have something to gripe about. Plus, I'm using Starwood points and its free.

Gecko Oct 19th, 2004 12:59 PM

I just read the article on CNN

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/asiapc....ap/index.html

I'm guessing that it was raw chickens that the tigers ate.

Kathie Oct 19th, 2004 01:04 PM

Gpanda, I hope you'll love the Towers. Hang on to all the receipts from your laundry (you get 6 free pieces per person per day). I always enjoy adding up just how much I saved on the laundry - usually over US$100.

And if you don't like it, yes, you can gripe about it...

glorialf Oct 19th, 2004 01:35 PM

I think the part of the chicken that can carry the avian flu is the carcass. Supposedly cooked meat is fine.

emtravel Oct 19th, 2004 04:19 PM

gpanda,
we asked about avian flu when were in Thailand. Were told it is isolated incident on the farm and farmers did not notified authorities on time.
We were told that majority of poultry is raised in enclosed facilities unlike on that farms with open space where chickens got sick and infected people. Cooked poultry and eggs are ok beacuse virus destroyed with temperature. The dr. in travel clinic explained to us. "Do not kiss chicken on the lips". Only saliva and breath can pass virus. Also raw chicken probably the same. We've seen in some restaurants that precautions are taken cooking poultry. So avoid live poultry (we've seen a lot's of roosters in rural area, but did not go close). Also, there are birds in the air who can have droppings! How to avoid this - do not know :-)
We were told by travel agencies in Thailand that they have quite a few cancellations beacuse of flu but they said it is not a big deal and soon as It got contained.

I remember how in CT and NY there were dead crows - West Nile virus, and not much panic.

So use your judgement.

sophia

Kathie Oct 19th, 2004 04:50 PM

Since the most frequent route of transmission is contact with infected chicken or duck dropping, I guess the advice should be not to eat chicken or duck droppings!

Sophia - the instruction you received "Do not kiss chicken on the lips" is very funny. I'm glad your doctor has a sense of humor. (BTW, where should you kiss a chicken if not on the lips? And do chickens have lips?)

rhkkmk Oct 19th, 2004 06:12 PM

gpanda---i have sent word to the manager at the sheraton orchid that you are not allowed to order tiger meat during your visit....same at gallery cafe....
the newbies are safe...

orgy7 Oct 19th, 2004 09:19 PM

I seriously hope nothing brews up now since it seems too be cold season or somehting since I've notices tens of people from neighbers. teachers, and folk on the street coughing and hacking like crazy.. I'm told it's do too changing of weather. (slowly comming out of rainy season).. but I don't know. anyways I sort of remember hearing that the chicken flu is tranfered threw coughing..
----------------
one of recent cases a child may have tranfered the flu too mother when mother slept slong with the child in the hospital..

------
mmm crows meat.. we nutmegers love BBQ heckle and jeckle..

emtravel Oct 20th, 2004 03:39 AM

Kathy,
yes, the dr had humor. Interpret it as you must. :-)
But, speaking about chicken lips,
one of the delicacies which was in all chinese restaurants in HK was "birds nest" which turned out to be bird's saliva! I usually eat everything, but after Thailand (insects) and HK (saliva, intestines, etc.) count me out. The woman who insisted bird nest is not much different as our honey which is also spit from bees.
Sure different cultures!