Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Chiang Rai on first visit to Thailand? Should we skip Chiang Mai?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4th, 2014, 07:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does it make sense on first visit to try and include Chiang Rai given we have but 9 days in Thailand? Travel, agent wants to wow us but wondering whether it is too much time traveling given limited stay in country.... your thoughts appreciated.
Old Oct 4th, 2014, 07:51 AM

It would help if we knew where else you were planning on visiting, your interests etc.
Old Oct 4th, 2014, 08:10 AM

andie, travel agents generally take the approach of trying to get you to lots of different places with no consideration on how much time you'll have to explore and enjoy a place. They think that what will impress you is how many places you get to see. I wouldn't use an agent for your Thailand trip as it is very easy to arrange on your own. (We'll even help!) You need to decide the things that interest you most and give a good amount of time to those. It doesn't matter if you agent says you "have" to see/do this or that, what matters is what you want to do. I remember you have just 9 days, so minimize the time in transit and choose just two places or a max of three places to visit. Three nights in a place is just two full days, and I wouldn't go anywhere for less than that amount of time.

I'd say choose one northern Thailand location if you are choosing three locations for your itinerary. If you are choosing two locations, you could do a driving tour through northern Thailand, visiting both CM and CR. That choice will give you an overview of the area but no time to explore one place in any depth.
Old Oct 4th, 2014, 08:26 AM
Original Poster

Other than Bankok, we were going to be spending
Some time in Kanchanabiri and I thought Chiamg Mai.
Old Oct 4th, 2014, 08:40 AM

Ok, here are some things to consider as you make your decision.

Would you enjoy a roadtrip or prefer to choose a place and stay put for a few days? What attracts you most about northern Thailand?

And how are you getting to Kanchanburi? Are you hiring a car and driver or taking the train? If you drive to Kanchanburi, you may not want a lot of driving in the north. What do you plan to do/see in Kanchanburi?
Old Oct 4th, 2014, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

Assuming driving though train an obvious alternative . HellPass Museum, Death Walk ... SomeRR ride.
Old Oct 4th, 2014, 10:05 AM

lol. If you hire a car and driver, don't let them take you to the Tiger Temple. There is well-documented maltreatment of tigers there.

We spent a week near the Golden Triangle area more than a decade ago and enjoyed Doi Tung, the deceased queen mother's residence and her economic development projects and we enjoyed Chiang Sean with its ruins and lovely museum.
Old Oct 4th, 2014, 03:06 PM

It'd be easier if there was only one thread. A lot of ground has already been covered on a different thread.

Not really a lot of point recommending an easy to organise DIY itinerary if andie is happy to let a travel agent fit in far too much into too short a timescale, in order to maximise on company profits.
Old Oct 4th, 2014, 03:21 PM

Obviously, andie is concerned about the wisdom of the travel agent's suggestion. Thus, the point of this thread.
Old Oct 4th, 2014, 07:46 PM
Original Poster

Precisely, and I appreciate the time and effort you guys take to share the benefit of your personal experience in the area! Not committed to any tour agency's agenda. I have modified plans over and over again based on your recommendations, especially with regard to cruelty toward elephants .

Not looking to waste your time.
Old Oct 4th, 2014, 08:02 PM

Andie, we spent time in both, CM 4 nights, and CR 5 nights in Feb 2014.

We are heading back to Northern Thailand in a couple of weeks, and will miss CR this time. It's not because CR isn't worthwhile, but that there is more to do in CM and surrounds.

With your limited time, I would concentrate on Chiang Mai.
Old Oct 5th, 2014, 10:41 AM

Yes, stay away from the Elephant Trekking camps,Tiger petting zoo all Tigers r drugged.
No humane laws for Animals in Thailand. If there is money to be made they will provide the service
Folks all true.
Old Oct 5th, 2014, 10:47 AM

Wow V quest I watched the video! I hope the rest of the gang here does. Kathie did u watch it?
All true! So disgusting need to keep spreading the word all education.
Old Oct 13th, 2014, 12:04 AM

V quest do u have any crush info or Video?