Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Chiang Mai - Mandarin or FourSeasons? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/chiang-mai-mandarin-or-fourseasons-571015/)

brusselschap Nov 15th, 2005 03:20 AM

Chiang Mai - Mandarin or FourSeasons?

Which restaurant is best in chiang Mai between the Grand Lanna at the Mandarin-Oriental and the Sala Rim at the Four Seasons.

This is for new year's eve. The FourSeasons do a set buffet for around $80 per person whilst the Grand Lanna is à la carte (wonder what prices are like) with a coupon for a dessert buffet on the lawn after dinner.

Anyone experience both restaurants?

glorialf Nov 15th, 2005 03:27 AM

I've eaten and stayed at the Four Seasons and I was underwhelmed by the food for the money. It wasn't bad -- just not great. I have not eaten at the grand Lanna but I have heard good things about it. It's also much closer to the city so if you're staying in town it will be easier to get to and back.

brusselschap Nov 15th, 2005 04:28 AM

Thank you

Have just spoken to the Mandarin Oriental and they have a set price evening which includes cocktail at the bar, dinner at Grand Lanna and then desserts and countdown on the law for $220 per person

Seems a little expensive. Maybe need to enquire about non-hotel restaurants in town!

glorialf Nov 15th, 2005 05:16 AM

Try Antique House or The Gallery -- I'm not a huge fan of the latter but the setting might make it a very nice place to celebrate New Year. Personally I think being in CM itself would be a lot more fun. Where are you staying?

rhkkmk Nov 15th, 2005 08:23 AM

$220 per person.....in thailand....????

do they launch you up with the fireworks for that price???

does it include some wonderful rare wines??

Martinan Nov 15th, 2005 08:55 AM

We enjoyed the food at the Four seasons. Good service and ambiance as well. The Gallery has a good location but the food is not good. The stores around the Gallery though were great! But as Gloria says, FS is far from the city and the food is pricier than regular restaurants.

glorialf Nov 15th, 2005 10:07 AM

I'm with you on the food at Gallery -- mediocre-- but since New Year is rarely about the food I thought it might be a fun place to celebrate. The shops around there are fabulous but I suspect many of them will be closed on New Year Eve.

brusselschap Nov 16th, 2005 02:33 AM

Thanks Gloria. We are staying at the Karinthip Village Hotel. I'll be looking up the Antique House and the Gallery.

Yes, $220 per person sounded rather steep as it is also more than we are spending for the two internal flights we are taking!!

Hanuman Nov 16th, 2005 07:38 AM

If you think that's expensive - the "Dome" in Bangkok is hosting a culinary event with several stared Michelin chefs cooking there. Price for tonight's dinner = 22,000 baht($500) ++ per person!

brusselschap Nov 27th, 2005 11:57 PM

Hello, just to let you know the variable info provided by the Mandarin Oriental in Chiang Mai when enquiring about dinner at Gradn Lanna on 31 December

Thank you for your message.

I just wish to recap the information I get from your hotel over the last two weeks:

(telephone) $150 per person and can buy a voucher on the spot to access the countdown party
(telephone) $220 per person including a voucher to access the party
(e-mail) 3,000 Bath ($73) per person but no access to the party as this is for guests only

Thing might look somewhere else out of fear the price might end up changing on the spot!!!

brusselschap Nov 29th, 2005 11:50 PM

CREDIT WHERE CREDIT'S DUE

I wrote to the managers at Chiang Mai's Manadarin Oriental to complain about the problem mentioned above and got a very rapid and kind reply and the issue has been sorted out positively.