Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Chiang Mai Hotel Help (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/chiang-mai-hotel-help-559557/)

violetm Sep 19th, 2005 01:33 PM

Chiang Mai Hotel Help

I am considering staying at the Lanna Mantra Hotel in Chiang Mai at New Year. It's apparently very new and looks lovely on the website, I'm just not sure about the location.

Does anyone know of it, and if it's easy enough to get to and from?

The other hotel I have found is Yaang Come Village (near the night bazaar apparently). It looks lovely, but doesn't open until November 2005, so there aren't many pictures.

Any info on this would be appreciated.

We wanted to stay at Rachamankha but its fully booked and are having trouble finding a suitable alternative, without a 30min ride out of town.

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks.

glorialf Sep 19th, 2005 01:44 PM

I'm someone who thinks you should stay in the city where you can walk around and take cars only as needed. But you might be different. Lanna Mantra is too far out for me.

Places in the city you may try -- recently opened D2 (looks to be very hip) is part of the Dusit chain and is right near the night market. You might also consider Tamarind Village or Baan Orapin.

I wouldn't book something that is scheduled to open in November -- it could be late or will be suffering from just opened problems.

glorialf Sep 19th, 2005 01:46 PM

For more money you could check out the Chedi.

By the way -- I will be in Chiang Mai from Jan 1-11.

violetm Sep 19th, 2005 02:04 PM

Hi,

Fantastic, thanks for coming back so quickly.

I have to agree, I'd much rather be more central and walk.

I liked the look of the Tamarind, but prefer the luxurious side of rustic, and found negative comments on some review sites about the rooms being a bit basic and the pool not being that great. The pool is pretty high on my priority list.

I'm probably being a bit picky but I'm so looking forward to this trip and don't want to be disappointed.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll have a look at the D2 and Baan Orapin.

Thought the Chedi looked lovely, but there was no mention of there being a pool, do you know if there is one?

Thanks again,
violet

glorialf Sep 19th, 2005 03:01 PM

If a pool is important, skip Baan Orapin -- it doesn't have one. I have less than zero interest in pools so don't pay attention to whether hotels have them or not but I would be surprised if the Chedi didn't.

You're not being picky. You know what you want and hotels can make a difference in a trip. D2 may work for you -- it appears to have a pool. Location is fabulous.

http://chiangmai.dusit.ahahotels.com/

glorialf Sep 19th, 2005 03:03 PM

Here's a bit more info (including rates) for D2
http://www.thailandhotels.net/chiang...tel/index.php3

glorialf Sep 19th, 2005 03:06 PM

Chedi is supposed to have a swimming pool

violetm Sep 20th, 2005 06:11 AM

Thanks, that's been a great help. The D2 looks lovely. I need to do a bit more research before making a decision.

Any other suggestions welcome.

JamesA Sep 20th, 2005 08:50 AM

I honestly would avoid places not yet open, I have read of 2 cases recently of places due open and they were not finished, I would skip that idea.
What time of year are you looking at? There are lots of centraly located hotels but depends on your budget and type of place you want, there are so many in the center, you can try this site and put in a 'request' for as many as you want (well, within reason), you don't have to give any c/card details or anything like that for an enquiry and see what they can offer in the central area for when you want, when they tell you what is available you have some days to think about it, no commitment at all
www.chiang-mai-hotels.itgo.com

Suriwongse is pretty standard but central, Rydges Taepae is good value too.

glorialf Sep 20th, 2005 10:07 AM

James -- I could be wrong but I thought both D2 and Chedi are open now. I agree that she should skip the hotel scheduled to open in November.

JamesA Sep 20th, 2005 10:18 AM

I was meaning the Yaang Come Village, I don't know anything about it but you have to take care booking places 'due to open', another interesting place that I saw in a local design magazine is the Lanna Accent Boutique Villa, this is a bit out of town but they are 'houses' Thai style in gardens, maid service, kitchens etc, range from about $80-180 a night, the photos are amazing !

....if that Marriott Pop Up blocks me one more time I will be telling Bob to sort it out !!

JamesA Sep 20th, 2005 10:25 AM

Violet, one place we haven't mentioned on this thread is the Jirung Health Resort, this is about 30 minutes from center, ranges from about USD 85-125 ( top end is a 2 bedroom suite ), they do health and spa packages and rural setting, quite a 'haven of tranquility' so it's very Thai but ultra modern in way of facilities. Lovely mountain views from the restaurant, ideal to get a mix of busy Chiang Mai with some great spa too!
Pics: http://www.r24.org/nongasia.com/chia...rung/pictures/

glorialf Sep 20th, 2005 10:32 AM

James -- this place looks gorgeous! Wish it was in town! And wish they had a two bedroom house! Has anyone stayed there that you know of or have you read reviews?

kaiwahine Sep 20th, 2005 07:38 PM

Hey all,

A pool is tops on my list too. Have you tried Karthrip Ville? I will be there next month, friends said it was a great place to stay. I don't like the idea of staying in a high rise hotel.

alibi13 Sep 20th, 2005 11:38 PM

James,

Have you ever stayed at the Jirung Resort? The website makes it look really pretty. I may be in Chaing Mai from the afternoon of January 7 to the afternoon of January 10 and the two places that caught my eye are the Jirung Resort and a place called Kao Mai Lanna. Have you ever stayed at the second place? I wanto be somewhere really physically beautiful and then take day-trips on the 8th and 9th, maybe to the elephant conservatory and somewhere else. Is it easy to organize something like that without a car from Jirung? Thanks for any help.

kathrynj Sep 21st, 2005 05:31 AM

Gloria, As it gets closer, would like to figure out meeting since a friend and I will be in Chiang Mai (at Tamarind Village) while you are there...

glorialf Sep 21st, 2005 05:39 AM

Kathryn-- that would be great. I'll be at Bann Orapin from late Jan 1 - Jan. 11. When are you there?

kathrynj Sep 21st, 2005 05:23 PM

Gloria--will be in Chiang Mai Jan 7-11, then Phuket, Siem Reap and Hong Kong (starting in Bangkok and then ending Bangkok-Hong Kong for stopover). Will definitely coordinate with you as it gets closer....it's a customized tour I am doing with a chuldhood friend and using Asia TranspacificJourneys

violetm Sep 25th, 2005 12:58 PM

Thanks for all your suggestions.

The Jirung looks fab but 30mins out of town is more than I would like. I don't mind having to use transport but would prefer to limit it to 10mins or so.

What do you think to the location of Lanna Mantra Hotel, it is open and looks gorgeous, I'm just not sure how accessible it is.

I am looking at staying Dec 27 to Jan 1st.

My budget is a max of £80 (sterling) per night, although would prefer less!

D2 looks great, (a little more than my budget), as does The Chedi, although I am a little suspicious about the lack of photos I can find of The Chedi, and the fact they don't mention having a pool.

Anybody know anything about Tri Yaan Na Ros?

The Karinthip Ville was one I looked at, but couldn't find any reviews, anybody been here before?

Thanks.

glorialf Sep 25th, 2005 01:43 PM

The Chedi does say it has a pool. Tri Yan is on the edge of town. Not a great location. There are a couple of reviews on www.tripadvisor.com My guess is that Lanna mantra is also on the outskirts-- probably 20 minutes to most things.

Chiang Mai is a great city to walk in and in my opinion you miss a lot by staying outside of the city.

Karinthip is more chinese in feel. Again check tripadvisor.com for some reviews.