Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Chiang Mai - Advice on where to stay - Jirung Spa/Four Seasons/Mandarin Oriental Dhara Devi

Search

Chiang Mai - Advice on where to stay - Jirung Spa/Four Seasons/Mandarin Oriental Dhara Devi

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6th, 2005, 01:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going to Chiang Mai for 6 nights next July.

We are planning on spending either:

1) 3 nights at Baan Orapin and 3 nights at the Jirung Spa and Resort recommended by JamesA

2) 4 nights at Baan Orapin and 2 nights at the Four Seasons

3) 4 nights at Baan Orapin and 2 nights at the Mandarin Oriental Dhara Devi

Any thoughts on the above welcomed and any experiences of staying at the Jirung, Four Seasons or Mandarin Oriental Dhara Devi of particular interest.

We will be travelling with a 2 year old and my parents and brother. I am just pondering whether the extra cost with either the Four Seasons or the Mandarin Oriental will be worth it. I love atmosphere and people and am wondering if the Four Seasons or the Oriental will be too quiet for us! Which has the best atmosphere - I love people watching.

We had considered the Anantara in Chiang Rai also but have discounted in order to minimise the travelling for our toddler.

Thanks in advance to all!
Old Nov 6th, 2005, 01:33 PM
Original Poster

Forgot to add, if we go for option (1), that would enable us to spend some nights at either the Oriental or the Peninsula in Bangkok.
Old Nov 6th, 2005, 02:59 PM

Although I am yet to stay at Baan orapin by all accounts traveling with a 2 years old and parents I think such places would suit you, more of a homely atmosphere. We shall certainly be giving it a try next time in CM and we go for such places with kids. The Jirung is lovely for spa treatment and relaxation but I sometimes question changing accommodations, it's a lot of packing up and moving around. You can still enjoy spa treatments at such places without having to stay there. Of course Thailand gives many the chance to stay in amazing accommodation at much less cost thatn most places. The Jirung of couse is way way lower pricewise, the top suite there would cost way less than those others.
Old Nov 6th, 2005, 05:42 PM

I have not stayed at the Mandarin but I have stayed at the 4 SeaSONS. Given your options I'd go with #1 but only if you stay at the Oriental in Bangkok. I found the 4 Seasons beautiful but "fake" and pretentious. And way too out of the way. I would not return at the price they charge.
Old Nov 6th, 2005, 05:54 PM

fyi---the four seasons is way out of town....maybe 30 minutes and all by itself...very beautiful place but i get the idea you want more action...

have not seen new oriental
Old Nov 6th, 2005, 06:11 PM

I'm with James. I hate changing hotels. If it's spas you're looking for I've read good reaviews about oasis which I plan on trying while staying at baan orapin. If I were you I;d spend all your time at the Baan Orapin and go to day spas and take day trips for beauty. Then take the money you've saved to treat yourself in Bangkok where a room at the Oriental will be far less than a room at either hotel in CM and far better value in my opinion. Especially for what you say you want.
Old Nov 7th, 2005, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all, we have ruled out (2) and (3) and are now thinking of option 1 or a longer stay at Baan Orapin.

The reason for moving is really a change of scene - we wanted to stay at least part of the time in a more rural location and also wanted a pool some of the time whilst we were in Chiang Mai. The Jirung looks perfect as we can swim, have spa treatments and also take some day trips from there. I think divediva said that Baan Orapin are building a pool but it doesn't sound like it will be finished by next August. I know that you used to be able to swim in the Amari pool as a non-resident, but according to Nancy Chandler website this is no longer possible. I love swimming as does Bella (our toddler), but I have a feeling we may love Baan Orapin and not want to move...

JamesA - sorry another query - what is the atmosphere at Jirung like? Is it very quiet with not many other guests? Also - once there, are we pretty stuck with the restaurant in the resort or is there anything nearby?

Gloria - I think we are going to swap the luxury resort here for the Oriental. Just a matter of negotiation with my father - who is more of a high tech Pen man...
Old Nov 7th, 2005, 11:52 AM

Good decision if you want a pool and a more rural location although I don't know anything about the resort itself. But it looks nice.
Old Nov 7th, 2005, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

Oh dear - just read a newly posted write up on tripadvisor which gives Jirung a v poor rating - bad service, over priced spa, uninspiring food, unhappy vibe. Just reading something like that makes me feel so uncertain!
rethinking again...
Old Nov 7th, 2005, 11:58 AM

Save even more money- stay at the Penn in BKK. (its the value shopper's choice for 5 star accomodations!)
Old Nov 7th, 2005, 12:05 PM

How about considering Yaang something Village although it isn't rural. Or consider Tri Yan Ros sp?) which is a bit out of town. Do a search for chiang mai hotels -- I bet we can find one that meets your needs.

Bill -- "value" is in the eye of the beholder. Just because something is cheaper does not necessarily make it a better value.
Old Nov 7th, 2005, 12:33 PM

Check out this website:http://www.hoteldecharm.net/villageresort.html
Old Nov 7th, 2005, 12:33 PM
Original Poster

Bill - sssh - my dad might read your post and then I will find it even more difficult to get him into the Oriental...

Gloria - I've looked up the Yaang Come Village. I like the look of it so it is a definite possibility - we can always take trips with a driver out to a more rural location, perhaps visit the Four Seasons or the Oriental for lunch. I've also emailed Anuchana at Baan Orapin to see if he has any suggestions as to a pool nearby that we might be able to take Bella too, if so we could stay there the whole time.
Old Nov 7th, 2005, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

Gloria - thank you for your help! I am going to look into the hotels on the website you just posted to.

Many many thanks
Old Nov 7th, 2005, 12:46 PM

Bella -- do you or anyone else know anything about Baan deva montra? It looks like it might be great for you.

http://www.baandevamontra.com/
Old Nov 7th, 2005, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

That looks lovely and I really like the fact that they have contemplated how children might enjoy the place. I think it must be new - I have seen the pictures before but couldn't find any reviews. I think this and Yaang Come will go onto a shortlist and I will wait to see if some more reviews come out. I think that about now is the start of Chiang Mai's High Season? So perhaps between the various websites there will be some more postings on these places.
Old Nov 7th, 2005, 01:11 PM

I've corresponded with Baan Deva Mantra...and they told me that they have kids stay from time to time.

For country setting and something unique, look at Mae Sa Valley Craft Village. The Four Seasons runs excursions there, which is how we found it. We're going to stay there for 4 nights. If you google, you'll find it on just about every booking site. Good reviews on sawadee.com and it's sister sites.
Old Nov 7th, 2005, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Kim - had just happened upon the Mae Sa Valley Craft Village on sawadee.com. When are you going to stay there? Will you report back?
Old Nov 7th, 2005, 01:33 PM

We're going next month for Christmas. Of course we'll report.