Cheapest Tokyo (and Kyoto) lodging.

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2007, 08:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My boyfriend and I are backpacking through Asia. Our trip begins in Tokyo, and we are affraid of blowing our hole budget before the trip even starts. We found some hostels starting around 1,800 to 2,000 yen a night. We are really looking to go much cheaper than that. Perhaps, 1,300-1,400 yen per night (for a dorm). Or 1,500-1,600 for a private room.
I was thinking that there may be people renting rooms very cheap, but they do not advertise on the internet. I don't know if we are better off waiting until we get there. I would appreciate any help!! Thank you
Old May 31st, 2007, 09:00 PM
emd

Try these if you have not already done so:

the forum at: www.japan-guide.som

There are lots of budget-minded people there.

Also:

http://thorntree.lonelyplanet.com/ca...s.cfm?catid=19

Good leads at:

http://www.maujudi.com/

Not trying to discourage you, but good luck on getting a private rm. in Tokyo for 1500-1600 a night. I sincerely mean that. If you find a place like that, please post back here, as you will reserve a place for yourself in the Tokyo budget hall of fame.

And under NO circumstances would I ever wait til I got to Tokyo to find a room spontaneously. Would you do that in New York City? Tokyo is the same. Reserve ahead.

Old May 31st, 2007, 09:02 PM
emd

For Kyoto, try:

http://www.kyotojp.com/
Old May 31st, 2007, 10:05 PM

You mean per person, right? If you mean for 2 of you, then no way. Not even in less expensive Asian countries can you get a decent room for $12.00/night for two...you can get a bed, sure, but you may well not like it. There are not people renting out cheap rooms in Japan the way there are in many other places in the world.

Anyone who has a big enough place to even consider renting out rooms would not be the least bit likely to do so...they've got enough money (how do you think they got the big place to begin with?), and the amount of money you are thinking about spending on a room is barely enough for a noodle shop lunch for 2.

You might want to do a bit more research and adjust your budget accordingly.
Old May 31st, 2007, 11:23 PM

Bonjour shellygirlz,

You could find this range of prices 20 years ago, and it would be either in rather seedy places, or in out of the way "gaijin houses", meaning that you'd spend in transportation fees what you had saved in accomodation, not to mention the time wasted going to places.

Nowadays prices are a little higher but there's much more choice of accomodations in far better places, meaning you can save a lot on transport, food (many more cheap places like convenience stores, fast-food joints, etc.).

Don't wait until the last minute to book rooms, cheap places are highly sought after. Look at http://www.itcj.jp/ for a reliable listing and you can even use their (free) services.
Old Jun 1st, 2007, 03:45 AM

you could try a capsule!
Old Jun 1st, 2007, 03:56 AM

Many capsules do not accept women.
Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 10:28 PM

Here is a capsule hotel, 4000 JPY per night:
http://www.capsuleinn.com/reservation.html
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 06:05 PM

We actually stayed one night at the Capsule Inn Akihabara last summer - just because we wanted the experience. For a place to sleep and wash, it was actually pretty nice. But, since the men and women are separated on different floors, I wouldn't have enjoyed it for more than the one night since my BF and I had no way to communicate with each other once we went to our floors.

Regarding this capsule hotel, in particular, I found it very comfortable. But, then again, I'm only 5' tall. You have a locker to store your things - larger items are chained and locked up in the middle of the lobby in front of the front desk. On the women's floor, there was a communal restroom with several sinks and toilet stalls with all the typical amenities provided (lotion, blow dryers, etc.). The showers are on a separate floor from the capsules and there are separate male and female shower floors. The female showers were great. You went into your own private "bathroom" that had everything except a toilet (small "room" with sink & vanity + shower "room&quot. The shower was really nice with 5 (yes 5!!) shower heads (one above, 2 on either side at about chest level and 2 on either side a little lower). From what I gather from my BF, the men's showers were not quite as nice (AKA private).

There was free internet provided in the lobby. There were other things available (like massage chairs) that we didn't have a chance to investigate or use since we arrived late and left fairly early.

All-in-all, I would certainly not discourage someone from staying at this capsule hotel.