Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Cheap Glasses? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/cheap-glasses-891047/)

jcasale May 16th, 2011 02:38 PM

Cheap Glasses?

Heading the Hong Kong for 5 days in December and DH has always heard that you can get prescription glasses made pretty cheaply in Hong Kong. Is that still the case? I wear progressive lenses and have a pretty significant astimgmatism so my prescription is not easy, but Lenscrafters seems to make it in an hour. Is it possible to get glasses made in a few days in Hong Kong and does anyone have a recommendation for where to go? Probably in Central.

Kathie May 16th, 2011 02:44 PM

While you can get glasses made in Bangkok for a good price, I doubt that Hong Kong is any bargain. See what it costs to have glasses made at home, then you can browse in Hong Kong and see if the price is better.

sf7307 May 16th, 2011 06:37 PM

You can always try Lenscrafters in Hong Kong (yes, they exist)

rhkkmk May 16th, 2011 08:02 PM

we had glasses made there several years ago and they were excellent quality and quite cheap... our came from a shop on a street in kowloon that had several optical shops on it... i think the shop name was sunrise... from memory the street is between nathan and the other main street whose name i forget... it is parrell to nathan.. see if you can find sunrise in the phone book or on line....

we also had very good luck in vn with glasses last year.... my fav pair cost $40 complete (bi-focals)... k has lenses like yours and the total cost was something like $140... shop is directly opposite the Liberty Central Hotel HCMC. glasses ready in about 18 hours... good english and very nice owner. lots of choice.. Hoang Long Optical; 114 Le Thanh Ton St... we are very pleased with them...

DonTopaz May 17th, 2011 02:42 AM

You can get eyeglasses in Hong Kong for considerably less than in the U.S., and for hugely less than in Europe.

I've been getting glasses from the same shop for years and have been pleased. The shop is Tai Kwong Optical in TST (Kowloon), run by a friendly fellow named Raymond. The shop is on Mody Road, across the street from the Hyatt (about 2 blocks down from the Holiday Inn). Don't be shy about bargaining a bit.

Don

DonTopaz May 17th, 2011 04:55 AM

And BTW, Lenscrafters in HK will be as overpriced as Lenscrafters in the U.S.

kmkrnn May 17th, 2011 04:56 AM

For your progressive lenses, I would do it earlier in your 5 day stay rather than later. They do take a bit longer to make than a regullar lens, but very doable. Just know what the price is at home, as Kathie has said, then you will know if it is a bargin. FYI, I have had no trouble getting minor repairs and adjustments done, to glasses we have bought in Asia, at home.

rhkkmk May 17th, 2011 06:02 AM

i googled sunrise and there is a map....it is at 6-D Carnarvon rd right off of nathan rd... small shop nice people...

Kathie May 17th, 2011 06:33 AM

Very interesting. I learned where to buy inexpensive glasses in Hong Kong and was reminded to give a specific answer rather than a general answer.

Our experience was in looking for designer frames. We were looking at upscale opticians on the Hong Kong side, and found the prices to be at least as much as in the US and dramatically more than in Bangkok.

jcasale May 20th, 2011 08:01 PM

Thanks so much everyone. I especially appreciate the names and addresses. I will take my prescription with us and see what I can find.