Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Cheap fares to Bali and other questions (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/cheap-fares-to-bali-and-other-questions-43424/)

Kathy May 3rd, 1999 08:49 AM

Cheap fares to Bali and other questions

We are thinking of going to Bali/Lombak in October and have a few questions. Has anyone found a cheap fare to Bali? I don't want to waste 100K miles if we can get there cheaply. Also, Bali or Lombak? Has anyone stayed in Lombak? Any recommendations? Finally, I know there is considerable dislike for ethnic Chinese in Jakarta. What about in Bali and Lombak? Has anyone been to the temples in Yogyakarta? Thanks for the advice.

Diane May 14th, 1999 06:03 PM

I just got a Frommers newsletter that mentioned $629 trips to Bali from LA, San Francisco or NY! I have to go to Minneapolis in June from DC and it's going to cost me $699. Course, I have no business in Bali! Check www.Frommers.com

LeAnn Thom May 25th, 1999 04:38 PM

I was in Indonesia in April/May of last year. The Yogyakarta area is quite interesting and you must not miss both the Hindu temples at Prambanen and the Buddhist monument of Borabudur. Both are astounding works of architecture. Also, be sure to visit the Kraton (Sultan's palace) right in Yogya and find an English speaking guide, if not, you might miss the bird market inside. I am planning to visit again this fall if possible, but be aware of the elections and what they bring before travel to Java.

Aaron Mulkey Jun 15th, 1999 05:18 PM

Kathy, <BR>Bali is a great place to stay. My suggestion is to go to Bali and then Lombok. There is a Ferry that goes from Bali to Lombok which is a good price. In Bali I stay in the town called Kuta which is right next to the beach on the southern tip. There is a small hotel I always stay at which has Air Conditioned rooms, an overflowing pool, and great service. It is not a five star hotel if you are looking for one, but for the price you pay you get a nice room. They are called Satriya Cottages. <BR>If you are going to stay in Yogyakarta stay at the Peti Mas Hotel. It is also a great place and VERY close to many of the popular tourists attractions including the famous Malioboro street which has many inexpensive souveniers that you can bargain for. The hotel is on a street perpendicular to Mailoboro called Dagen. You go down about two blocks on Dagen and the hotel is on the left side. If you do happen to stay there, they can give you plenty of good information about sightseeing and places to go. <BR>One suggestion to do while you are in Yogya is to see the famous play called Ramayana. It is possible to have transportation available to take you to and from the place of showing and the hotel. The most famous temple to see while you are in Yogya is the Borobudur which is about 30 minutes from the city. Sundays are holidays so it might be a bot busy. But when you do go be sure to bring plenty of water and some sunscreen because it gets fairly hot and humid. The other temple closer to the city of Yogyakarta is called Prambanhan. At night there are lights which give light to the temple. <BR> <BR>Well, I hope you enjoy your stay in Indonesia!

Aaron Mulkey Jun 15th, 1999 05:19 PM

Kathy, <BR>Bali is a great place to stay. My suggestion is to go to Bali and then Lombok. There is a Ferry that goes from Bali to Lombok which is a good price. In Bali I stay in the town called Kuta which is right next to the beach on the southern tip. There is a small hotel I always stay at which has Air Conditioned rooms, an overflowing pool, and great service. It is not a five star hotel if you are looking for one, but for the price you pay you get a nice room. They are called Satriya Cottages. <BR>If you are going to stay in Yogyakarta stay at the Peti Mas Hotel. It is also a great place and VERY close to many of the popular tourists attractions including the famous Malioboro street which has many inexpensive souveniers that you can bargain for. The hotel is on a street perpendicular to Mailoboro called Dagen. You go down about two blocks on Dagen and the hotel is on the left side. If you do happen to stay there, they can give you plenty of good information about sightseeing and places to go. <BR>One suggestion to do while you are in Yogya is to see the famous play called Ramayana. It is possible to have transportation available to take you to and from the place of showing and the hotel. The most famous temple to see while you are in Yogya is the Borobudur which is about 30 minutes from the city. Sundays are holidays so it might be a bot busy. But when you do go be sure to bring plenty of water and some sunscreen because it gets fairly hot and humid. The other temple closer to the city of Yogyakarta is called Prambanhan. At night there are lights which give light to the temple. <BR> <BR>Well, I hope you enjoy your stay in Indonesia!

Madeline Jun 18th, 1999 05:16 PM

Singapore Air had some fantastic packages to Bali and also incredible stop-over packages for Singapore.....under $1000 for roundtrip air to Bali, 5 nights at 5 star hotel incl breakfast, one day tour and transportation to/from airport..... <BR>

Christy Jun 19th, 1999 08:21 PM

Dear Kathy, <BR> My boyfriend and I rented a jeep and drove around 3/4 of Bali. This was a great way to see the scenic and its people. I highly recommend the Billibo cottages on the north coast in Lovina. A good deal if you want to stay on the beach. If you want to see the inner area of Bali I suggest going to Ubud where, if you like wood carvings and other art, can shop till your hearts content. We enjoyed stepping onto our patio to see rice fields at the Melati cottages. These are both reasonably priced cottages. If you want to be in the center of the tourist district, Kuta, Sanur, or Nusa Dua are the places to be. Tip-if you plan on shopping, take extra bags because, as we learned, it is very expensive to ship packages from Bali. I hope I was of some help and have a great trip! <BR>

Christy Jun 19th, 1999 08:22 PM

Dear Kathy, <BR> My boyfriend and I rented a jeep and drove around 3/4 of Bali back in Nov. This was a great way to see the scenic Bali and its people. I highly recommend the Billibo cottages on the north coast in Lovina. A good deal if you want to stay on the beach. If you want to see the inner area of Bali I suggest going to Ubud where, if you like wood carvings and other art, can shop till your hearts content. We enjoyed stepping onto our patio to see rice fields at the Melati cottages. These are both reasonably priced cottages. If you want to be in the center of the tourist district, Kuta, Sanur, or Nusa Dua are the places to be. Tip-if you plan on shopping, take extra bags because, as we learned, it is very expensive to ship packages from Bali. I hope I was of some help and have a great trip! <BR>

Christy Jun 19th, 1999 08:25 PM

Dear Kathy, <BR> My boyfriend and I rented a jeep and drove around 3/4 of Bali back in Nov. This was a great way to see the scenic Bali and its people. I highly recommend the Billibo cottages on the north coast in Lovina. If you want to see the inside beauty of Bali I suggest going to Ubud, where if you like wood carvings and other art, you can shop till your hearts content. We enjoyed stepping onto our patio to see rice fields at the Melati cottages in Ubud. These are both reasonably priced cottages. If you want to be in the center of the tourist district, Kuta, Sanur, or Nusa Dua are all good choices. Tip-if you plan on shopping, take extra bags because, as we learned, it is very expensive to ship packages from Bali. I hope I was of some help and have a great trip! <BR>