Help w/ train station coin lockers!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7th, 2005, 07:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, a totally new concept for me - leaving luggage locked up someplace like a train station!

We're going to be taking two small rolling carry ons - they're about 24 inches high. Does anyone know what size lockers we'll need, how much they'll cost, etc.? We're going to need to leave our bags at the train station in Nara, and somewhere while we see Koya-san. And advice??? Thanks so much!
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 08:42 PM

There will be signs directing you to the coin lockers...if you can't find them, you can ask...the Japanese is exactly the same...coin locker, with the locker pronouces like rokaa. They will cost a few hundred yen for 24 hours. They come in various sizes, with more variety in the bigger stations.
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 11:54 PM

Bonjour Rachelis,

Most JR stations have lockers big enough for your bags, but they tend to be pretty full at any time. I'm pretty sure Nara has some other facility for daytrippers, you'll have to ask at the tourism information counter.

I've often found that even small JR station will take care of your luggage for the time you're visiting a town, for about Yen 200/bag.

Most hotels will also accept to keep your bags until checking in time if you arrive too early.
Old Mar 8th, 2005, 02:10 PM

Re-posting here to tie these two together...

Author: lcuy
Date: 03/08/2005, 12:17 am
Message: The lockers are like your lockers in high school PE. usually there are several sizes at different costs. A 24" wheelie should fit in one, and both might fit if you find the big lockers.

Test the locker for size, then close the door, insert the proper number of coins, then remove key and put it in a SAFE spot. Repeat for second bag if it didn't fit in the first locker!

Always double verify the time limit. Some lockers only allow one, two or three day storage.

If you'll be gone longer than the limit, or if your stuff does not fit, check nearby. There are often luggage check rooms where you pay a bit more, but they'll take bigger pieces and for longer time periods.

Lucy

Old Mar 8th, 2005, 02:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate it!
Rachel