Chaing Saen and Chaing Mai?

Nov 17th, 2009, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

Chaing Saen and Chaing Mai?

After spending 3 days in the Chaing Saen are there sites and experiences in Chiang Mai that would be different?
We'll need to go to Chaing Mai to fly to Luang Prabang; but, would you advise us to spend a night or two in Chaing Mai as well? If not, we could add those two days elsewhere on our trip. Ventiane or ???
As of now we're thinking:\
Bangkok 3days
Golden Triangle 3 days
Chaing Mai 2 days ???
Luang Prabang 3 days
Siem Reap 2 days
Third week will be in North Vietnam (Hanoi, Sapa, Hue)
Would love feedback especially on whether Chiang Mai would be a good fit for us.
Nov 17th, 2009, 06:37 PM

The golden triangle (Chiang Saen) is more about nature; while Chiang Mai is about history - the old city with its 700 year old temples, the traditional craft villages, etc. There are similarities between the two, but it's still kind of apples and oranges.

That said, I see you only have two days set aside for Siem Reap. To me, that seems an impossibly short amount of time. Even if you're not that 'into' the ancient temples, there's still lots to see and do around SR. If it were me, I'd take the 2 days you have for Chiang Mai and add them to Siem Reap.
Nov 17th, 2009, 11:16 PM

I agree. I like Chiang Mai but suggest missing it in favour of extra time in Siem Reap - Three full days is good for the temples. Also, with a only a week in Vietnam, I would miss out Hue (too much travel time) and, depending upon your intersts split the time 2/3 nights Sapa and 4/5 Hanoi and maybe consider a 1 night side trip to the Mai Chau valley.
Nov 18th, 2009, 06:15 PM

i think you also need more time in bkk...4 days is perfect for SR

Search this Thread