Reload this Page >

Chaing Mai, Thailand- Empress Hotel or Royal Princess Hotel

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26th, 2001, 09:00 AM
Austine

<BR>Has anyone been to the Empress Hotel or Royal Princess Hotel in Chaing Mai? They both seem to be centrally located and of good value. Are they up to American standards? What would be my best choice? I'm leaning towards the Royal Princess because it is closer to the Night Market. But, could it be too close? Any information would be greatly appreciatedly. Thanks Austine. <BR>

Old Apr 26th, 2001, 02:54 PM
lynn

Hi - <BR> <BR>We didn't stay at either of these but, I can assure you that getting around is pretty easy. Tuk-tuks are everywhere and the city isn't nearly as big as Bangkok. <BR> <BR>On the map, the Empress looked to be a little farther away from the night market than the Royal Princess but it doesn't really matter unless you are really going to be shopping alot. <BR> <BR>Good Luck, <BR> <BR>Lynn <BR> <BR

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 08:57 AM
doc

My wife and I spent about two weeks at the Empress Hotel last January and recommend it highly. Our only complaint was the uncomfortable seats in the hotel lobby. There are three restaurants in the hotel and the food is good in all. Breakfast is a buffet. The other two are French and Chinese cuisine. About a hundred yards down the hill is a laundry and another shop where one can have films developed for about half the cost we have here in the States. Within easy walking distance (5-10 minutes max) there's an excellent tailor shop which we both used to have some clothes made at a very reasonable price. A lot of other shopping is available nearby, as well as a bank with an ATM withiin a 10-min. walk. The night market is a bit farther away, but walkable if you choose. Otherwise tuk-tuks are always available. <BR> <BR>While we were at the hotel there was a big "do" that the Queen attended (which surely says something about the quality of the hotel). Before she arrived we were able to visit the ball-room to see the out-of-this-world flowers that be-decked the site. <BR> <BR>If you'd like further details feel free to contact me (e-mail me directly since I don't always check the Fodors site regularly) and I'll be happy to respond. I can also send you a copy of my journal for our entire Thailand trip (Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Chang Rai, etc.) if you wish. <BR> <BR>Wherever you choose to stay I know you'll have a fantastic visit!

Old May 1st, 2001, 06:25 PM
Linda

We stayed at the Royal Princess Hotel and were happy with it. It only has one restaurant and the lobby bar both of which we used and enjoyed. Of course, the night market is outside the hotel. I worried that it might be too noisy, but it wasn't a problem at all. <BR> <BR>I found that you need to book via the internet for the best rates. The Royal Princess was about $38 a night with full American breakfast. <BR> <BR>The company we booked the hotel through picked us up at the airport and then offered us tours if we were interested. We had a private car and driver for the Golden Triangle tour and the elephant camp. Don't miss the elephant camp! <BR> <BR>If you have any questions, feel free to email me. <BR> <BR>Linda

Old May 13th, 2001, 08:19 AM
Anna

We stayed in the Empress hotel last November and were very happy with it. It's only about 10 mins walk, if that, from the Night Market and we found this no problem at all.