Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Chaing Mai Restaurant Report (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/chaing-mai-restaurant-report-599393/)

jkgourmet Mar 15th, 2006 08:45 AM

Chaing Mai Restaurant Report

Just returned from Chaing Mai. Can highly recommend Huen Phen (search it out-it's terrific, lovely, and gets a bit crowded later in the evening but worth the wait for perfect northern Thai). The service can be slow and the waiters speak very little English, but they are exceedingly pleasant (as are all the Thai people, in our experience). Huen Phen was a highlight of our trip.

Also Just Kao Soy - what a treat and I wish we had Kao Soy in some restaurant in Phoenix. The N. Thai/Burmese version of Pho. But better, if you like curry.

Loved the noodle soup and pad thai (maybe the best I've ever had) in the unnamed Chinese restaurant (yes, that's what it's called, even on the tourist maps) across the street from the Chaing Mai Plaza Hotel, but the dim sum were only average.

Were surprisingly pleased with our meal at The Whole Earth, and Indians from our trip declared it "outstanding" for the vegetarian indian options (they returned twice in three days!).

The Wok was an unexpected find, as we were trying to find Huen Phen at the time, but gave up and stopped here for dinner. A delightful surprise of good food in a garden setting.

We had drinks in The Riverside and found nothing appealing in it at all. In fact, it seemed a bit dreary and frayed and geared towards tourists. The Antique House looked pretty, but the menu somewhat dull and overpriced by comparison to our other finds.

Kathie Mar 15th, 2006 11:53 AM

Thanks for your report!

Peteralan Mar 15th, 2006 01:32 PM

Thanks jkgourmet ( with a name like that I have to take notice!). Lots of good info to put with other suggestions from Fodorites for my July visit!

Gpanda Mar 15th, 2006 04:00 PM

Thanks for the tips. we loved Whole Earth.

MichaelBKK Mar 15th, 2006 04:38 PM

I thought Just Kao Soi was okay too, but Thais I recommended it to declared it vile. The best Kao Soi in Chiang Mai, by all accounts, is found in the side street near the night bazaar, just behind the mosque. They're only open until late afternoon, so you have to have lunch there. The hill tribe market on Fridays in a vacant lot on this same street is very interesting.

jkgourmet Mar 15th, 2006 04:50 PM

LOL! I'm not surprised the Thai's find it "vile" - it's certainly not authentic. but we found it delicious - perfect for our last meal before the long flight home. And frankly, the a/c was on full blast and a real relief.

Mara Mar 16th, 2006 07:27 AM

this one?

Kippy Mar 16th, 2006 07:32 AM

ttt for jk!

great report by the way.

My experience of the Riverside was different. We ate there several times and usually managed to get a table by the river. Found the food excellent and great value. The place was always packed and definitely with more local young people than tourists.

Liked Whole Earth too

KimJapan Apr 9th, 2006 02:29 PM

ttt

acctg May 9th, 2006 09:12 AM

ttt