Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   centrally located bangkok hotel? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/centrally-located-bangkok-hotel-946339/)

annergizer Aug 11th, 2012 05:21 PM

centrally located bangkok hotel?

Hello all.

There are SO many hotels in BKK!. We are looking for a centrally located hotel, $$ to $$$ in range, we only have 1 day before departing for Yangon, so we want to maximize our time. Suggestions?

Kathie Aug 11th, 2012 05:37 PM

I don't know what you mean by centrally located - central to what? And I don't know what price range $$-$$$ is either. On your other thread, I recommended a hotel on the river and listed them.

If you'd rather be in another area, let us know.

rhkkmk Aug 11th, 2012 05:55 PM

look at renaissance on plenochit..

marriott mayfair

plaza anthanee

jw marriott

bangkok holiday inn

chatrium riverside

centre point silom

shangri-la

Jessicate Aug 11th, 2012 06:12 PM

We just tonight made a reservation at the Peninsula in Bangkok - though not 'til next April - right on the river for $264/night. A "king-balcony" room. Never been in Bangkok before but the hotel looked great from the pictures and looking at the map and reading the reviews of the hotel it seems centrally located.

annergizer Aug 12th, 2012 02:20 PM

thanks again. to answer Kathie's question. to me centrally located would be within walking distance of the palace and wats. $$-$$$ to me is max $150 night.

Kathie Aug 12th, 2012 02:45 PM

You actually don't want to be walking distance from the Palace and Wats, IMO. It's a hassle to get to and from there by car. Better to stay on the river and take the water taxis to and from the major wats and the Grand Palace. You can likely get the Royal Orchid Sheraton, the Anantara, and the Chatrium for that price on one of the discount booking sites like www.agoda.com or www.sawasdee.com

MichaelBKK Aug 12th, 2012 05:20 PM

As Kathie says, you really don't want to be walking distance to the Grand Palace, especially if it's your only day in the city. You'll spend too much time getting there and out. However, if you insist, you can look at the Chakribongse Villas or Aurum Riverside. You don't say when this is. Riva Suriya is a new five-star hotel on the riverside. It's a longish walk from the Grand Palace, but still walkable. It was supposed to open this week but I see they've pushed the opening back a month to September.

An alternative to a riverside location would be to stay in the Asoke area - Centre Point T21, Sheraton, Westin, or Millennium. It will be easy to get in and out for the airport, and handy to transportation.

Kalil_Daoud Aug 12th, 2012 05:53 PM

Bangkok really does not have a particular downtown, but rather several clusters of downtowns. In fact, most Thais consider the area between Saphan Phut and Saphan Phra Pin Klao as the actual downtown (the area around the Grand Palace). The MO, Shangri La, HI Silom, and Lebua at State Tower are located within such "a clustered downtown" area that is very well connected to other parts of the city by skytrain (BTS), boat, and plentiful taxi service. The Peninsula, on the other hand, is located on the Thomburi side of Bangkok right across the river from the MO, which is also connected to the to the BTS artery by complementary shuttle boat. Having some SPG or Marriott points? The Royal Orchid Sheraton (ROS) is a great value property on the river a bit north of the MO. In other clusters: You might want to consider the St. Regis, the InterContinental, Grand Hyatt Erawan or the Renaissance at the Ratchaprasong area. The JW Marriott, the RM Plaza Athenee, or the Conrad at lower Sukhumvit/Wireless Rd. area. The Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, or the Westin Grande Sukhumvit at Asok area. And there many other great value hotels in between and throughout Bangkok. Like everything else, it all depends on what you want to do, and your budget :)

rhkkmk Aug 13th, 2012 07:46 AM

peninsula is not central at all, but has easy skytrain access, is on the river, and is a fab hotel..

galactus Aug 14th, 2012 11:36 AM

If I were staying only for one day (or a short duration), I'd be perfectly happy with the Ramada Plaza Menam Riverside Hotel. Its riverside which means a good location and well under your budget limit.

SirHalberd Aug 15th, 2012 11:14 PM

There is no one location good for everything. Close to palace and wats is nice - for a few hours! Then you will be doing something else, especially in the evening.

If you intend to head back to your hotel in the evening and camp there until the morning - get a hotel anywhere! But if you intend to visit nightlife, do some evening shopping , check out other malls, consider a hotel where you can walk to many things or use the Skytrain.

In Bangkok a hotel with A/C, private toilet, TV and maid clean up starts around $20 or $30.

Check these out.

Pathumwan Princess. Near MBK and at Skytrain stop. Use Skytrain for Chatuchak, Patpong, Sukhumvit and to meet up with subway at Asoke.

Landmark Hotel, Sukhumvit Road. Near good restaurants, street vendors, nightlife and malls. Near Nana Skytrain stop.

Sheraton Grand Sukhumvit. Near subway and Skytrain at Asoke. Near Terminal 21. Walk to restaurants, etc.

http://www.urbanrail.net/as/bang/bangkok.htm

gpotvin Aug 16th, 2012 07:58 AM

Bookmarking.

kikiv Aug 16th, 2012 12:35 PM

We stayed at the Hilton Millenium. We were three in a room and they offered us a huge suite with an incredible view of the river at a great price. The breakfast buffet is excellent and so is the spa. The staff were very helpful although I'd be skeptical with the concierge's restaurant suggestions.
Many people don't like staying on that side of the river but we loved having to ride on the long boats everyday and were not inconvenienced by it at all.

Kathie Aug 16th, 2012 01:33 PM

Good thing they gave you a suite, kikiv, as their regular rooms are tiny!

kikiv Aug 17th, 2012 06:00 AM

Kathie you are correct, the regular rooms are quite small. It appears that if you are three people the only options are either two rooms or a suite.