Thailand Honeymoon?

Old May 24th, 2011, 08:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thailand Honeymoon?

Hello all!! New to this forum. My fiance and I are getting married in August, and think we have narrowed down the choice of our honeymoon destination to Thailand. We are thinking of going to Thailand for 10 or so days towards the end of November.

We would like to have some R and R time on the beach, so I think Phuket seems like a good destination for this. Upon doing some research, the Anantara Phuket Villas seem like they are really nice and will give up some nice time away.

As far as bangkok, I havent started the research yet. I am initially thinking of spening 5 or 6 days in phuket, and the remainder in Bangkok.

What do you guys think? Any suggestions or tips? Also, where is the best place to book flights? Online, or can anyone recommend an agent in the northeast us? (i am based out of central NJ).

TIA!
Old May 24th, 2011, 08:32 PM
Original Poster

PS, we searched and searched for a destination that appeals to us. Thailand seems great in that we can get some time relaxing, but also be exposed to some culture (as opposed to Tahiti etc etc).
Old May 25th, 2011, 03:41 AM

Thailand is a fabulous choice! Congratulations! And the weather in the end of November should be nice. Bangkok is always hot, but Nov/Dec/Jan offer cooler temps and less humidity.

You should be able to book your flights on line without any trouble. If you have status and miles with any one airline that would be a good place to start. Ticket prices in economy are probably going to run you around $1500 each, maybe more. I used to be able to do Chicago (ORD) to Bangkok for $900. Those days are gone.

I think you will enjoy Phuket. I have not stayed at the Anantara so cannot comment on that location. I would, indeed, spend the rest of the time in Bangkok. It is an amazing city! Since you will be honeymooning, and if you want lux, you should look at the Penninsula along the river, or maybe the Royal Orchid Sheraton or the Oriental. All are very special and would cost you much more $$$$ if they were in NYC or SFO! Bangkok offers great hotels/serviced apartments for all levels and prices. Do you have a budget?

Have fun planning your trip. Come back with more questions, especially when you have a feel for where you might want to stay in Bangkok. You will get lots of information (and opinions) here.

Carol
Old May 25th, 2011, 05:46 AM

Thailand is a lovely place for a honeymoon and the end of November is a fine time to go!

You'll get the best air prices online. As Carol says, if either one of you are frequent fliers with an airline, choose that airline or another in the alliance. No use having all those frequent flier miles go to waste! And the airline's own website will have the best fares.

Phuket is lovely, but is an international beach destination, so you'll get most of your cultural experience in Bangkok. There are wonderful, luxury hotels in Bangkok for very reasonable prices.
Old May 25th, 2011, 06:00 AM

for bkk hotels, most of us prefer river locations... look at the following: peninsula and oriental (top cost hotels), shangri-la, hilton, royal orchid sheraton, ibiz (cheap alternative), chatrium suites riverside (nice small apartments), centre point silom (not river front)...

if you prefer to be more in the middle of the city there are tons more alternatives: conrad, intercontinental, plaza anthanee (a fav of mine), jw marriott, marriott mayfair (apartment on a fab street), sheraton grande, adelphi suites, emporium suites (easy access to the skytrain), marriott courtyard, bangkok holiday inn on plenochit, four seasons, hyatt and many many more...

the anantara is located in a more remote part of phuket next to the jw marriott.... it is a lovely location but 45 min from the town. it is new which is a good thing...

i personally would prefer le meridien nearer to town..

take a look at the jw marriott at khoa lak, one hour north of the phuket airport.... i will be there in late oct for my second visit....can't beat the price and the hotel is fantastic....no reason to ever leave there.... i rent a car at the phuket airport and drive there very easily, but you can take a taxi or hotel will arrange transfers... fab beach access, huge pools and lagoons, very comfortable rooms, fab breakfasts, good restaurants....nearby town has good restaurants too...

another alternative is the krabi sheraton. fab place on the beach with good pools, nice rooms and local restaurants at the end of the driveway. tha amari vogue up the road is also a very fab place for a honeymoon... you fly to krabi for these hotels...
Old May 25th, 2011, 02:15 PM

>>>Thailand Honeymoon?<<<

(No complaints from me)

Now, warm greetings to fodor's and congrats on marriage/honeymoon.

Noticed you're based in central NJ. Not knowing your ultimate flying/lodging budget (and potential interest in a few nights in Singapore), will propose the truly exquisite Singapore Airlines all-business class, non-stop service, EWR-SIN. (With, yes, SQ's business class fares to match.) Sweet rides. Nothing to lose by perusing the ever changing www.singaporeair.com/

(Will add our little adopted home of Singapore is a fun-filled place, provided one knows where to go.)

Should you start off in SIN, keep the party rolling with SQ business class to The Centre of the Known Universe, yes, Bangkok, Thailand. Great spectrum of lodging and diversions.

Keep going with Thai Airways to Phuket and budget permitting, splurge at the Amanpuri. (A lovely, serene place, indeed.)

Have fun, lovebirds.

macintosh (robert)

... Singapore Girl, You're a Great Way to Fly ...
Old May 25th, 2011, 03:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks alot for the replies everyone. Sorry Robert, dont think my budget will allow for that

I like the Anantara because of the amazing villas they offer..180sq meters and a private pool! I will definately look into the JW in phuket.

I have heard from friends that staying at 5 star hotels in bangkok is very reasonably priced.

Thanks again everyone!
Old May 26th, 2011, 12:33 AM

Good choice with Phuket!
Old Jun 22nd, 2011, 05:20 AM
Original Poster

thanks alot guys! what can I expect to pay for a 4-5* accomodation in bangkok? also, can anyone reccommend a tour guide??
Old Jun 22nd, 2011, 05:33 AM

Take a look at these booking site: www.sawasdee.com
www.agoda.com
to check on hotel prices in November.

Let us know what kind of place you are looking for and we can help. For a honeymoon, I'd choose a hotel on the river.

Decide whether you want a guide in Bangkok. Bangkok is easy to do on your own. If you stay on the river, you can take water taxis to the most famous wats and the Grand Palace.
Old Jun 22nd, 2011, 05:41 AM

august hotel prices will be reasonable.... you can stay in a really nice hotel for as little as $100 or pay as much as $350 for the fabulous places...

hotels along the river tend to be in the $130-200 range except the peninsula and oriental, which are higher...

serviced apartments are really nice and offer most everything a hotel offers: chatrium and marriott marfair being my two favorites and they both are around $100-110.
Old Jun 22nd, 2011, 06:15 AM
Original Poster

thanks! will look into all the suggestions you guys made and let you know what we decide!

Also, thoughts on koh samui vs phuket for the r and r portion of the trip?
Old Jun 22nd, 2011, 06:24 AM

Bob, they are going in November.

For the end of November, the Phuket area will have better weather.
Old Jun 22nd, 2011, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

the Shangri la and the Hilton both look pretty nice in Bangkok...which would you guys recommend over the other? or are both very comparable?

TIA
Old Jun 22nd, 2011, 12:56 PM

The Shangri la for sure.
Old Jun 22nd, 2011, 01:26 PM

I agree, the Shangri La.
Old Jun 22nd, 2011, 01:46 PM
Original Poster

Great thanks!!!

How is Cathay Pacific for air travel? Seems like a 20 hour total flight from Newark...ouch!
Old Jun 22nd, 2011, 02:16 PM

CP is just fine.... 20 hrs is not bad at all.... the former direct, non-stop thai flt took over 17...

sh-la hotel would be my pick but hilton is not bad, unless you get a room away from the water, which is quite possible..

there are also tons of other airlines: ANA, Korean, Finn, Japan, Continental, Singpore....
Old Jun 22nd, 2011, 02:16 PM

i stand corrected on the month
Old Jun 22nd, 2011, 02:17 PM
Original Poster

Yep...CP has the best rate though...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -