Catholic Church in Beijing?

Nov 17th, 2009, 04:15 PM
Original Poster

Catholic Church in Beijing?

Im looking for a Catholic Church in Beijing prefereably close to the Chongwen District (I will be staying @ Courtyard Marriott Beijing). I read somewhere about the Xuanwumen Church and it says that has an English mass but no more information. Does anyone know about this or has a recommendation?
Nov 17th, 2009, 04:35 PM

At the Nán Táng (南堂, South Church--the Xuānwǔ Mén one) English masses are (or were, when last checked) at 10am and 4pm on Sundays, Latin ones Sunday to Friday at 6am, the remainder in Chinese.

Peter N-H
Nov 17th, 2009, 06:35 PM

Before just going on any "Catholic Church" in China, you may want to really do some research about the state of Catholicism there. It's a very complicated issue, with government-sanctioned churches and Vatican-sanctioned underground churches. Though recently also a lot of grey area, with some government appointed bishops recognized by Rome, etc...

I am no expert on this, but unlike in most parts of the world, a "Catholic Church" may mean more than one thing in China. So, please find more information.
Nov 18th, 2009, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

I understand this, that’s why I did not asked specifically for a Roman Catholic Church. Thanks for all your help!

Search this Thread