Carry-on limits? Air Asia and Malaysia Airlines

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24th, 2011, 06:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have heard that these airlines are strict about carry-ons. My wife tends carry quite a bit on board, including a heavy bag with camera equipment that is slightly smaller than a "rollie" and a shoulder bag. I think she'll be fine with checking her other bags for a short flight but can she carry on the camera equipment and her shoulder bag?

We have the following flights:
Singapore to Kuching on Air Asia
Kuching to KL to Langkawi on Malaysia Airlines
Langkawi to Penang on Air Asia
Penang to Singapore on Air Asia
Old Jun 24th, 2011, 07:18 AM

Craig from my own experiences both Air Asia and Malaysia Airlines are more concern with the dimension of the carry-on and not the weight. Returning from Java on Malaysia Airlines recently I had one carry-on with my camera, video, lenses and I estimate the bag to weigh over 20lb and nobody minded. Of course you have to be strong and be able to lift the bag as if it was empty so one would notice.
Old Jun 24th, 2011, 07:38 AM

We had no difficulty with Malaysian Air with all of Cheryl's electronics - oh, we were in Biz, so maybe they attend to that in coach.
Old Jun 24th, 2011, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

Our flights are short (35 minutes to 1 hour 40 minutes) so we will not be sitting up front.
Old Jun 24th, 2011, 08:09 AM

It's strictly one-bag for AirAsia. When we flew out of Kota Kinabalu in AirAsia's T2 there, they have their own checkpoint after Sabah immigration to monitor carryon items.
Old Jun 24th, 2011, 08:18 AM

AirAsia's carryon weight limit is only 7 kg. Sorry, but I do not remember whether they actually weighed the bags.
Old Jun 24th, 2011, 10:37 AM

Craig I have never had AA weigh my bags and when we flew Malaysian they didn't even ask to see the bags. Suggest just keep it sensible and you will be fine.
Old Jun 24th, 2011, 12:31 PM

Smeagol they didn't weigh you Hermes crocodile Birkin?
Old Jun 24th, 2011, 12:51 PM

the only place we had trouble with AA carry-ons was leaving saigon... the rule is 7 kilos, but other than saigon i have never seen one weighed. i have seen multiple carry-ons, but not that often.... i have seen rollies taken away that were way too big... our carry on rollies just fit depth-wise--sometimes we have had to empty a top pocket.. they do have a metal container for measuring standing-by...

they also look more favorably on people with seat reservations up front... try to shove them together and just walk forward with authority.... pretend you are pook... haha

if they take any of those camera items from you, just buy new...
Old Jun 24th, 2011, 02:12 PM

No thankfully they didn't otherwise they would see all my worldy possessions in it as it clearly means I have sold my house to pay for the bag......
Old Jun 24th, 2011, 03:29 PM

Air Asia weighed our carry on bags for a Chiang Rai - Bangkok flight last fall. Stuff was too heavy and we had to check the bags. Since we did not do a "super size" on the bags when we bought the tickets, we had to leave the check-in line....go to another line...wait...pay about $25 for two bags....go back to check in line...wait...and then complete our boarding. It was a pain.

My husband and I decided we will ALWAYS pay for checked baggage on Air Asia next time. My recommendation is to check heavy-large carry-ons --paying online ahead of time for this. Then carry your valuable camera equipment/computers in a backpack.
Old Jun 24th, 2011, 05:10 PM

For Malaysian see

http://www.malaysiaairlines.com/hq/e...d-baggage.html

Sizes are max 36cm(14")x 56cm(22")x 23cm(9")with a max weight of only 5KG - one piece for economy and two for business (but you need a special sticker for the second one)

That said when I've flown with them they have not checked but we were in biz! I'm off with them again in a week so will let you know if they are getting stricter. I think overall size is more likely to cause trouble especially if as Hanuman says you can make it look like it doesn't weigh much.
Old Jun 28th, 2011, 11:04 PM

I have just flown six legs with AirAsia and Airasiax over the past couple of months.

OOL-KUL
KUL-COK
COK-KUL
KUL-STN
STN-KUL
KUL-OOL

The strict policy on carry-ons seemed to vary depending on which airport you were boarding at. I was careful not to exceed the 7Kg single-bag carry-on limit and my paid 15Kg checked limit.

I did not see anyone rejected at OOL, KUL or COK, but I did see several who appeared to have to pay extra for overweight. It's a bit hard to tell when you're standing several yards back from the desk but there were certainly a few heated discussions. I was surprised at the size of some of the carry-ons allowed.

At STN every bag was weighed; carry-ons were weighed separately. The guy in front of me was 9.7 Kg. I'm not sure if he had to pay extra, but there was quite a discussion before he was issued with a boarding pass.

I wouldn't chance it. It's not worth the hassle of rearranging everything if you are rejected, especially if your checked bags have already disappeared into the system.

Cheers, Alan
Born Under a Wandering Star http://loraltravel.blogspot.com/
(latest: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia)