Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Car hire recommendations please! (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/car-hire-recommendations-please-363171/)

travelaw May 16th, 2008 11:14 AM

Car hire recommendations please!

Hello my Fodorite friends! I have been reading your India trip reports for the past couple of weeks, as that is hopefully our next destination. We are planning a route from Katmandu, Nepal, flying to Varanasai and then driving the following route: Khajuraho, Agra, Delhi, Jaipur, Bikaner, Jaisalmer, Jodhpur, Udaipur, Amedabad, Mumbai. We may take trains from Khajuraho to Delhi and from Amedabad to Mumbai, but think we would really like to road trip the rest of the route. We plan on taking Bob's advice here and make our own hotel reservations. We don't much go for structured guides, but will use one when we think a place merits it. We want to drive as much as we can, because we very much enjoy seeing the countryside. We have about 25 days to make this trip and are targeting the December/January timeframe. We have emailed Bob's recommended driver for an estimate. Does anyone have any other recommendations? I tried a search, but didn't get too far through the list looking for recommended drivers. Maybe I am not searching correctly? In any case, if you've had a car and driver for a reasonable price (what is reasonable by the way?) please pass on the contact info! From past experience, we know a driver can make or break a trip. Also, any other advice on hotels, good routes or must-see places -- or anything else regarding India (or Nepal) -- is greatly welcomed. I have to say that this board has been indispensible to our travels -- many many thanks to all the great posters here. You all have saved me more money and headaches than I will ever be able to list -- and have provided us with tips and advice for absolutely great trips. Thank you!

JamesA May 18th, 2008 08:49 AM

I think perhaps if you re-post with India in the title it will be spotted by the India experts otherwise your post will probably fall-over into the 50+ on the next page, I am sure if you re-post with destination in the title you will get answers.

vp_singh Jun 2nd, 2008 09:22 PM

None of the destinations you mention will give you an insight of the Indian countryside. These are all city destinations! You need to throw in a dash of some most colourful & yet unspoilt rural destinations, in your Rajasthan segment.
Your observations on drivers is spot on. In India, all the more.
Happy Travels!

Arrick Jun 6th, 2008 11:17 AM

Hi yes are choosing righ choice of driver recommended by bob, he is very knowlegable as well helpfull, I Used him last month my trip to india. I think you got the solution or shortly he will help you out.

TravelIndia Jun 7th, 2008 01:44 AM

Recommendations:
Cox and kings
Sita Travel
Travel virus
Namaste India Tours
Rajasthan Four Wheel Drive

JC98 Jun 11th, 2008 04:21 PM

In Delhi and the Golden Triangle region, you could try Bobby Thakur:
http://www.carrentaldelhi.com/contactus.htm

We used his service in 2006 when we went to India. He was recommended by someone on Fodor's, and it turned out for us. We had a Toyota Qualis SUV for the 2 of us to drive from Jaipur to Agra, and Agra to Delhi. The cost was $45 USD per day including a driver and gas.

In Delhi, we paid only $17 USD a day for a brand new Nissan Sentra with a driver/gas.

I hope Bobby Thakur is still as reliable as before. You could try to email him. He was very prompt in response, and was keen about reviews about his service on western internet sites.

lcuy Jun 11th, 2008 11:15 PM

I'm not sure Bob's driver, Anoop, is still in business, but if he isn't, his cousin Narender is just wonderful. Drives an immaculate toyota mini-van, and is a cautious and talented driver.

My husband and I spent 4 days with him last October and my duaghter and I spent several days with him two weeks ago. His English is very good, and he is extremely polite and reliable. We had many interesting conversations and he has a good sense of humor as well.

Really can't say enough nice things about him. He and Anoop used the same email, so they'll probably offer narender if if Anoop can't do it. I can dig up his phone number if you need it, but it will take me a few days...just got back from 30 days in India, Malaysia and Vietnam!

travelaw Jun 12th, 2008 06:20 PM

Thanks all! We have emailed a bunch of these suggestions and are starting to get some estimates back. Icuy, I think I emailed Anoop, but I'm not sure if I heard back from him -- I need to review the responses. If you can dig up the contact info for narender, I'd very much appreciate it. JC98, I will also check out Bobby Thakur. Thank you so much!

lcuy Jun 13th, 2008 09:31 PM

Narender's mobile (+91)98 99360606
email: [email protected]

travelaw Jun 14th, 2008 09:40 AM

Thanks very much Icuy!