Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Can the Yangtze River be traveled without going on a cruise ship?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19th, 2001, 06:57 PM
Brenda

I really son't like the cruise atmosphere. Is there a safe alternative?? <BR>TIA, Brenda

Old Jun 19th, 2001, 08:43 PM
Fritz

Please describe the "cruise atmosphere" that you don't like. Odds are that it doesn't exist on the Yangtze boats. <BR> <BR>There are many passenger ships plying the Yangtze, from fast hydrofoils (do the whole thing in one day!) to local transportation (you might consider bringing your own food). The so-called "cruise" lines are probably the only ones that would cater to the sensibilities and needs of western tourists. <BR> <BR>Fritz

Old Jun 20th, 2001, 12:45 PM
Brenda

Thanks, Fritz! <BR> What I don't like is the Las Vegas like ambiance,the drunkeness,the tiny windowless rooms.... I would prefer a more local flavor but without the rats, vermin and uncleanliness. Is this a hopeless expectation?? <BR> <BR>

Old Jun 20th, 2001, 07:57 PM
Andrea

OK, I originally had typed in an anonymous name, but decided to go ahead and use my real name - after living here for 2 years, this is my honest observation. I absolutely LOVE China, the Chinese culture, and the Chinese people, and there are billions of things that they do wonderfully, but from a tourist's point of view, what you expect by "local/authentic" experiences and what you would actually get are two different things. IMO, it's part of the fun of travelling around here, but you should be prepared going into it . . . <BR> <BR>IMO, in China, the more "local" and "authentic" you get (particularly away from the bigger cities), the more likely you are to find things like: <BR> <BR>* toilets that are a trough or squatting hole (with no paper in sight) <BR> <BR>* food most Westerners would not consider appetizing (chicken claw, mouse, pig's ear), cooked in a setting you would not find hygenic, served on dishes that were "washed" under cold water with no soap <BR> <BR>* decor that can best be described as "Communist frugal" or "Spangle De-Lite", depending on how "luxurious" your "local" surroundings are <BR> <BR>* fellow passengers that spit bones on the table, sunflower seed shells on the floor, and mucus when the need strikes them <BR> <BR>* conversations practically screamed in Chinese, for no apparent reason (the screaming, not the language) <BR> <BR>* small children that are allowed full freedom to run and jump and scream and play whenever/wherever they want . . . <BR> <BR>On the plus side, I'm sure it's perfectly safe, and it is kinda fun to see/experience all of that - it's what makes travelling to a different place so interesting.

Old Jun 20th, 2001, 08:05 PM
Andrea

Right. So the other side of the story is that if you go "local/authentic", you'll be surrounded by very friendly people that are eager to talk to you to learn more about where you're from and tell you about their lives, and you'll probably make lifelong friends.

Old Jun 20th, 2001, 08:37 PM
Brenda

This is EXACTLY what I am looking for. How do I find it???

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 12:25 AM
Fritz

Just to complete answering your original question, the cruise boat that we took on the Yangtze, Victoria Cruise Lines "Yangtze Angel", did not have a Las Vegas atmosphere. It was more of a Peoria atmosphere. <BR> <BR>The staterooms were all outside rooms on three decks. The upper two decks all had balconies. <BR> <BR>The passengers were all tourists, there to see the Three Gorges. They spent most of their time on the upper decks watching the river banks. The lectures were well attended. There was some entertainment in the evening, but I did not observe any drunkenness or offensive behavior. The food was standard fare served banquet style. <BR> <BR>There were artisans in the public area doing caligraphy, chop carving, kite making, etc. and selling their wares to the passengers. <BR> <BR>The only locals you would come in contact with would be the guides and the dining room staff. The river ports where the ship ties up are sometimes out of town, sometimes in a rough part of town. The tour buses come down to pick you up and take you to see the sights. When you return, the ship casts off to continue the journey. <BR> <BR>If you want to see what those sights were, I have them documented on my web site. I didn't post many pictures of the ship itself. <BR> <BR>Fritz