Reload this Page >

Can I find known Tang copies?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13th, 2002, 07:14 AM
Laura

I have read of the copies of Tang horses etc being sold as real. We are going to be in China and would love to buy a good copy which we know is a copy. Does anyone know a place in Hong Kong/Beijing/Xian? Any ideas?

Old Apr 13th, 2002, 07:09 PM
Peter N-H

Finding a copy is never a problem--if anything the problem is one of avoiding them. It will be cheaper to buy a fake in China than Hong Kong, and probably a little cheaper in Xi'an than in Beijing.<BR><BR>For this kind of thing there's no avoiding the shops aimed at tourists, but never pay any marked price, always bargain hard, and expect to be asked for as much as ten times the price you really need to pay.<BR><BR>In Beijing you might try the Panjiayuan market particularly if you are in the city at the weekend. Go early. Whether you actually buy there or not, the market is lively and colourful. Round the corner (a little further south on the third ring road) there's a Curio City with shops where you can take the time to compare prices between many different vendors. Just about everything is fake, so don't believe what you are told to the contrary. Starting prices are higher, but there's more choice.<BR><BR>In Xi'an, avoid the particularly rapacious vendors around the Terracotta Warriors. There are several stores in the centre of town selling this kind of merchandise.<BR><BR>Peter N-H<BR>http://members.axion.net/~pnh/China.html

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 01:23 AM
gabrielle

the friendshop stores are always a good bet if you want quality and do not know to barter. two very good ones in beijing, where I bought a tang horse.

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 03:59 AM
Peter N-H

Sadly the Friendship Stores are always amongst the most expensive places in town, and only foreigners shop there, although Chinese window shop. And you certainly can and should bargain for a significantly lower price than the one marked.<BR><BR>Peter N-H<BR>http://members.axion.net/~pnh/China.html

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 11:49 AM
Laura

Thanks for your help. Since we have a few days in Beijing, I think we will look at the Friendship store, see what they have, then check out the markets.