Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Can I expect any empty seats on my United Airlines flight to Tokyo

Dec 30th, 2001, 01:40 PM
Donald

My wife and I are taking the long 12 hour flight to Tokyo from LAX in a few weeks. Are the flights to Asia full or can we expect to have some room to lay down? What has your experience been in the cheap economy class section?

Dec 30th, 2001, 01:51 PM
Kathie

Here's my experience: the flights are close to full. I flew on Christmas Day, which is traditionally 20-30% full, but was about 60% full this year. A flight attendant I spoke with said that the flights across the Pacific were running nearly full on a consistent basis.

Dec 30th, 2001, 02:09 PM
Mark

I expect the no name airlines with no frequent flyer programs connected with American airlines will have more empty seats. United is nearly always full but for some reason is still losing millions a month??

Dec 30th, 2001, 02:10 PM
Jean

I flew Atlanta to Honolulu week before Thanksgiving. I had three seats to myself both ways. How? I went onto Delta site, found the seating assignments and requested a seat without people either side. Two hours before I left for the airport, I checked again - and had seat companions. So when I got to the airport I requested a change to empty row (as found on the internet)- and it worked both ways.
Dont know if United posts their seating.

Dec 31st, 2001, 04:29 AM
Cathy

I recently flew from New York to Hong Kong and was seated on a completely full flight in a middle seat next to a 300 pound women who had a crying baby on her lap for 17 hours, can you spell HELL?

Dec 31st, 2001, 11:19 PM
deej

Ouch! I had a similar experience from London to Hong Kong, except it was two football-sized guys on either side. It seems the abundance of cheap flights is filling-up the economy section -- at least on the international flights.

Jan 1st, 2002, 08:21 PM
Kiki

United is having a big push now selling really cheap e-fares to Asia - San Francisco to Tokyo is only something like 320 USD (the catch is that the maximum stay is 10 days or so). Thus, I assume it's their goal to fill every seat on every flight, even if they don't make much of a profit.

Jan 1st, 2002, 11:56 PM
lze

Hi Donald, We flew from LAX to Seoul and then to Beijing. Flight was full going over. This trip was pre-9-11. On the way home I had 5 seats to myself the entire way. I took a sleeping pill, covered up and slept like a baby. I advise checking with your doctor about sleeping pills if you think you might need them. Mine gave me a perscription for some. I am funny about over the counter type sleep aids. Hope you are lucky in getting some "room" to yourself and that you can sleep.

Jan 2nd, 2002, 05:50 AM
CHRIS

I JUST GOT BACK FROM A TRIP TO ASIA AND BOTH TRANS PACIFIC FLIGHTS WERE PACKED TO THE GILLS (THROUGH HK GOING OVER AND TOKYO COMING BACK). GET THERE EARLY AND ASK FOR EXIT ROW SEATS - THERE WILL BE NO EXTRA SEATS TO LIE DOWN