Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Can anyone recommend a local booking/travel agency in Bali?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29th, 2008, 04:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Everybody!

We are in the very preliminary stages of planning a short, side trip to Bali from Darwin, Australia sometime in October of 2009.

Can anyone recommend a RELIABLE and HONEST travel agency in Bali (or Australia) for a short 4-5 day trip. I want someone to help put together the airline transportation, ground transfers, assist with hotel selection and possibly some local sightseeing.

Any ideas? All suggestions will be appreciated.

P.S. I am posting this on both the Asia and Australia forums.
Old Nov 29th, 2008, 05:47 AM

OV-for a short trip, you can easily do this yourself. The first question is whether you want to stay at a beach or in Ubud. There are very good hotels at every location. You can easily arrange an airport pick up through the hotel.

For a guide, many here have used Putu who is available at MyBaliFriend.com. He is one of the best guides we have ever had. He can help you arrange sightseeing and shopping.

If you want to stay at a beach, you should decide how much night life you want. Kuta is the most active, Sanur is much more quiet. Seminyak is in the middle. DO NOT STAY AT NUSA DUA. It is horrible.
Old Nov 29th, 2008, 07:18 AM
Original Poster

Grandpa-

Thanks for the link for Putu, however the web site does not seem to be operational.

My wife and I are both in our mid-60s and are fairly experienced world travelers. Night life is NOT a priority - a good night's sleep is. My preliminary thoughts are that we would prefer to be based in Ubud.

We don't demand ***** hotels but we do want to be able to express our preferences and have them considered, as opposed to trying to sort through 150 hotels on our own trying to determine their location, amenities, price, etc.

This is part of a 3-4 week trip involving Australia's top end (only), New Zealand and involving Qantas FF tickets in high season...so it's not just a 4-5 day trip by itself. I anticipate some tricky scheduling issues.
Old Nov 29th, 2008, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

Oops! I should have said <b>Gpanda<b>.</b></b>
Old Nov 29th, 2008, 08:00 AM

Try [email protected]

Sanur Beach is very nice. Of course, the Alam Shanti in Ubud is a true gem. Check to see if there are rooms available for your dates. If so, it's a wonderful property. Eight rooms in four villas.
Old Nov 29th, 2008, 07:09 PM

We were in Bali last month an used a husband and wife team,Made and Connie for all our transport and tours. Made is an extremely safe driver(a rare thing in Bali)and Connie is a guide. If you contact them they will organize anything you want to do or anywhere you would like to go or shop.It is great to have a driver and a guide so that you are dropped off and picked up right at the door. I especially enjoyed our trip to the Denpasar market with them. Connie explained what all the exotic fruit and vegetable were, how they were cooked, and how they were used in religious offerings.They are really special people.
Try Escape Travel for an Australian Travel agent. I personally never use a travel agent for Australia or Bali but I know a few peaple who use this very large Aust. agent and their prices and contacts throughout Aust should be good. They would be able to help you with of your Bali flights/accomodation as Bali is very popular with Australians.
Contact for Connie and Made is [email protected]
Old Nov 29th, 2008, 08:13 PM
Original Poster

Many thanks, skittle!
Old Nov 29th, 2008, 08:47 PM

Hi Orlando
One thing about Connie and Made. If you contact them for a quote they will reply &quot;Whatever you give us is OK&quot;. This realy bothered me at first. They are genuine about not being too caught up about money and are far more concerned about Karma and treating people well. This was just a little hard for us to really understand. We just estimated how much it should have cost from some of the dozens of brochures that you can pick up beside the Visa on Arrival counter.
Old Nov 30th, 2008, 03:44 PM

Vic, the URL for Putu's website is www.balifriend.net
email: putuarnanwa@aol .com

Putu Arnawa seems to me to embody the unique nature of Bali. He's very intelligent and by spending time with him I gained a real appreciation of the Balinese perspective.... and their sense of humor. He's also a photographer who can take professional photos of you as you tour Bali if you'd like. BTW, his car is licensed and insured for carrying tourists which is rare.

For hotels, try posting your preferences here and you'll receive great advice and recommendations to narrow down your choices - better in my experience than from an agent.

Old Nov 30th, 2008, 04:16 PM
Original Poster

Gpanda &amp; Becalm-
Thanks for the detailed information about Putu Arnawa. I am still a long way out but realize that sometimes you can't always get good info at the last minute. I'll definitely consider him when the time comes.

As for hotels, I think I'll play it both ways. Let's see what hotel suggestions other Fodorites can provide. In the meantime, I'll continue to look for a travel agent as well.

Please keep the ideas coming. I appreciate all of them.
Old Dec 21st, 2008, 12:42 PM

My husband &amp; I were in Thailand &amp; Bali last year. In Bali we stayed @ Risata Bali REsort &amp; Spa. www.ristabali.com Although it was a timeshare trade they also rent our rooms. The grounds were beautiful-the spa treatments were very reasonable. There were restaurants within walking distance. I would go back there in a heartbeat. It was in Kuta but we hired Puta to guide us to other places on the island.My husband &amp; I celebrated our 25th anniversary there-LOVED IT&gt; Chris