Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Can anyone recommend a good camera shop in Bangkok? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/can-anyone-recommend-a-good-camera-shop-in-bangkok-236284/)

cookiescompanion Jan 6th, 2008 10:41 PM

Can anyone recommend a good camera shop in Bangkok?

Hi,

I am currently in picturesque Luang Prabang and unfortunately, my camera has decided to STOP WORKING. it is very frustrating as there are great photo opportunities here.

We are heading back to Bangkok in a couple of weeks, before going to China, and I am interested in either buying a cheap camera that will see me through the Great Wall and Terracotta Warriors etc. or getting my camera fixed (though probably the first because my camera is a few years old now).

Does anyone know of a good camera shop in Bangkok? Alternatively, does anyone know of a Sony shop in Bangkok (my current camera is a Sony Cybershot)?

Thanks a lot!
cookiescompanion

Hanuman Jan 6th, 2008 11:51 PM

Sony, and Canon, pretty much control the prices for their cameras throughout Bangkok so the prices will only varies a little from shop to shop.

You can check out the prices for new digital cameras at the link below and perhaps you will be able to find it cheaper at the duty free shops.

http://www.tohome.com/camera.aspx

For more serious cameras:

http://www.fotofile.net/product_cate.php?lang=en

Hanuman Jan 6th, 2008 11:58 PM

Forgot to add the information for the Sony repair centre:

Sony Thai Co. Ltd
2126 Kromadit Bldg, 1st Fl
New Petchburi Rd
Bangkapi, Huay Kwang
Bangkok 10320
Thailand
TEL: +(66) 2-715-6100
FAX: +(66) 2-715-6020

MaryW Jan 7th, 2008 02:53 AM

We've used Foto file in Bangkok a number of times for things like lenses , tripods etc. They are good and the prices are okay - not quite as good as Singapore - they generally have only the more serious stuff as Hanuman says. They are in MBK - 3rd floor for new stuff but 1st floor shop has used equipment.

simpsonc510 Jan 7th, 2008 04:42 AM

cookies

Pantip Plaza in Bangkok is a mall with 7-8 floors of just electonics! You will see more Sony and Canon cameras there than just about anywhere. If you work at it, you can negotiate a somewhat better price... but they aren't too anxious to really cut prices!

rhkkmk Jan 7th, 2008 06:13 AM

how about buying a throw away camera where you are to hold you over to bangkok

MichaelBKK Jan 7th, 2008 03:22 PM

Fotofile moved out of MBK several months ago. They're now in Central Plaza Ladprao. There's still a decent camera shop on the 3rd floor.

To replace a digital camera, I would head to Fortune Town. It's easier to get to than Panthip and a little less chaotic. Take the subway to Rama IX station and you're right there.

MaryW Jan 10th, 2008 12:42 AM

Sorry to mislead about fotofile - they were still there (both shops ) in late November. There is also another shop on 3rd (or 4th ) Floor that has good prices - near the small food stall area.

Hanuman Jan 10th, 2008 12:59 AM

MichaelBKK is mistaken and MaryW you're correct - foto file is still open at MBK floor 1, 3 & 5. I visited them today to take a look at a new camera.

MichaelBKK Jan 10th, 2008 03:32 PM

Sorry to mislead you. They were definitely closed, with a sign saying they'd moved to Central Plaza, the last time I needed anything there.

However, if you're looking to replace a Sony Cybershot, I wouldn't bother with Fotofile. They're more of a 'professional' camera store. For a point-and-shoot digital camera, you're better off going to the 4th floor of MBK, Fortune Town, or any department store.

Hanuman Jan 10th, 2008 04:54 PM

Michael,

I think you mistook an event sign or advertisement for their other store. They have a branch name "Foto File Group" at Central Lardprow.

As I've said it's good for more serious cameras but it's also a good place to buy used cameras or trade in your old one. They do have low end cameras too buy not Sony.

Bisbee Jan 10th, 2008 10:03 PM

There is a very large SONY store at Siam Paragon on the 2nd floor and another nice SONY store at Emporium on the 2nd floor.

cookiescompanion Jan 11th, 2008 04:09 AM

Thanks so much everyone for your help! I really appreciate it!
I think I will probably head to the Sony shop first, and if the problem is too big, then move onto Pantip or Fortune to have a browse.

SirHalberd Jan 11th, 2008 06:56 PM

Sometimes even a Lotus Tesco store will have digital cameras on sale that are cheaper than some of the photo stores.

Big "C" and Carrefour also have cameras for sale in some of their stores.

JamesA Jan 12th, 2008 08:52 AM

I have no idea of prices elsewhere, but we recently bought a fairly basic digital camera and it cost about B 10,500, so that's around US$300-330 depending on what exchange rate you use. No ideas if that is cheap or expensive, it is fairly basic but not cheapest. Others were is the 7,8,9,000 range plus lots way over what we paid.