Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   camera questions (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/camera-questions-490107/)

cochin321 Dec 9th, 2004 06:18 PM

camera questions

i will be taking about 1200 pictures with a digital camera in Vietnam and Burma. I think that i have given up on bringing a hard drive to transfer the pictures to free up space. So i bought 5 512mb cards that will give me about 1100 pictures on the setting i selected. I can always play around with this to maximize my pictures.I will also bring 4 batteries with a charger. I bought a converter for this. Should i bring the hard drive just in case as some one has said that transfering this info takes time. Are the airport x ray machines safe for the memory cards and harddrive. Has anyone ever had a problem with there memory cards that were blank when they got home. Should i make an effort to download onto the hard drive even if it may be difficult. Im not the best with computers. Are there knowledgeable people over there that will make my life easier. looking for your continued input.

Kathie Dec 9th, 2004 07:13 PM

I'm not sure I understand you comments about the hard drive. There are little portable hard drives made specifically for downloading photos from memory cards. You do NOT need a computer to download them, you just put the memory card in the slot and it downloads. You then take your hard drive home and move the photos from the portable hard drive to your computer for viewing and editing. We take one each trip and have never had a problem with it.

If you've purchased all those 512 cards, you should be fine. Our camera and cards go through the aiport xray machine with no problems.

Your battery recharger is a converter. All you'll need will be the appropriate electrical adaptor for the country (the thing that allows you to plug it into the outlet).

cochin321 Dec 9th, 2004 07:59 PM

as always Kathie thanks for the info i will find out more about this. i think the hard drive i have is more to have a hard drive to permantly store my pictures like a photo album.But i will check the cost of the other and see the difference. . Im getting my advice from my roommate who seems to be computer smart.

RoyalJelly Dec 9th, 2004 08:47 PM

I had the same problem everytime I travel, is what's the best type of digital storage I can bring along with me. Here's the usual options:

1) bring lots of flash ROM cards (which you seem to already have) or some gigabyte micro hard drives. The microdrives can eat up batteries a bit faster than regular flash cards.

2) bring along a laptop computer - typically people transfer files off the card and onto the hard drive each night. Can be cumbersome to carry around, but you can view every picture right away.

3) portable "stand alone" hard drive. One is the Image Tank, which allow you to plug in your flash card to transfer to a HD without the need of a computer.
http://www.image-tank.com/englisch/e_frame.html

4) portable cd burner - also runs without a computer, plug in the flash card and burn away (can be slow). These include the Roadstor. http://www.micro-solutions.com/roadstor/index.asp

5) pay someone to burn the pictures for you onto a cd. Most major cities have this nowadays, but not sure about Vietnam & Burma.

You'll have to decide which is the most cost-effective means for your needs, plus convience and carrying weight. I've travelled many times with compact flash cards through the airport xray machines all over the world, and never had a single lost photo. Bring along your camera's video-out cable as well, since some hotels might have a tv that you can hook up to view pictures.

I typically use the dpreview forum group to find the latest gadget available for portable storage:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1023

Have a great trip!

SidB Dec 9th, 2004 09:56 PM

You shouldn't have a problem getting the cards downloaded in any city. Another option is to use an iPod.

My real question is, will all 1200 pictures be good ones ? I know that I delete ay least half of mine. Can you take time to go through and delete those not worth keeping ? 1200 pictures seems excessive to me.

cram Dec 9th, 2004 10:10 PM

I think you do indeed well taking so many pictures, as long as you have the courage and take out the time afterwards to weed out. Later on, you'll never sit through a slide show of 1200 pictures. But if you take many, you have the margin at least to select only the very good ones, and dispose of the rest.
Depending on what you want to use the pictures for, you may not want to use highest resolution, because you want to keep in the end maybe 400-500 pictures and have them all burned onto 1 single CD.
I always travel with a laptop and 2 256MB CFs. Seems that with what you have of cards, you can afford leaving your PC home. Only, it's going to be a bit of an administration to keep notes on what picture is taken where. Whereas, when you transfer directly to a laptop, you can immediately Rename your pictures and classify them properly.

rkkwan Dec 10th, 2004 07:00 AM

1,200 pictures isn't excessive at all. My mom used to take no or very few film pictures, but on a recent 9-day trip to Ireland, she took over 300. And that's no where as "exotic" as Vietnam and Burma.

nan_49 Dec 10th, 2004 04:16 PM

I would definitely buy a hard drive storage device so that you can download your photos daily. In Vietnam and Burma you will probably take a lot more photos than your are planning. When I was in Tibet this summer, I took many mmore pictures than I anticipated, and I didn't have to worry about storage on cards. If you make this investment once, you'll be able to use it for all future trips. And, with a device like this, you can take as many photos as you want or high resolution photos.

Siriuslea Dec 14th, 2004 05:39 PM

I'm thinking about taking an MP3 player hard drive to download the pictures to. One is the iriver H320 (20G storage) or as someone else mentioned the ipod. The H320 is about $300US.

Good luck,
Siri

Hanuman Dec 16th, 2004 05:03 PM

"Are the airport x ray machines safe for the memory cards and harddrive" - I just read this report at another web site:

The International Imaging Association (i3a) has issued a press release in which they detail tests carried out by themselves in conjunction with SanDisk and the US Transportation Security Administration (TSA) to discover the effect of Airport X-Ray Scanners on digital film (flash storage). The results were that none of these such scanners nor walk-through or hand-held metal detectors had any effect at all on the content of flash storage.

clevelandbrown Dec 17th, 2004 06:11 AM

I use an mp3 player to store my pictures, and it works well (I also listen to my own choice of music on the long flights).

However, if you are not fairly confident of your computer skills, my recommendation would be that, after filling two or three of your cards, you find a photo or computer shop and have them transfer the files to cds, then reuse the cards.

I don't delete any pictures until I am home and can view them on a large screen; the screens on cameras are just too small to tell if a picture is really good, so take two or three and later decide which you want to keep.

As to identifying the pictures, all the digital cameras I have seen assign subsequent numbers to the files. I keep a written log of where I went, and every once in awhile I take a picture of a sign that shows where I am; between the log, the numbers, and the pictures of signs, it is pretty easy to figure out what each intervening picture is, and rename them once you have them home and into your computer.

Incidentally, with all the memory you have, and assuming you can reuse some by having files moved to cds, I would suggest you put your camera on the highest settings it will handle. This gives you the flexibility to crop, edit, and expand pictures on your computer; something that is lost if you have taken lower resolution pictures.

jules39 Dec 17th, 2004 10:21 AM

cochin321 don't worry about the comments on taking too many photos. The beauty of dig is you don't pay to process them so you can just delete the ones you don't want when you get home. I have made the choice to travel with lots of cards. I have never had any problems with that. I did have a problem once with one of the little portable hard drives fortunately it was at home when I was experimenting with a new camera so no big loss of photos. It did make me a little nervous about trusting my holiday photos to it though. However many many people use these with no problems.

Happy travels

J

cochin321 Dec 17th, 2004 03:38 PM

I now have 5 512mb cards. what im thinking is i will see how many pictures i take by the time i get to Hoi An which is about halfway thru the trip. if i feel im burning thru a lot of pictures i will find a place to free up some of the memory cards so to have all 5 available for Burma.

cochin321 Dec 17th, 2004 03:54 PM

ok now that i just got a lesson on cd rom. Any idea how much this will cost. do u suggest burning them on two seperate cards in case one gets damaged or am i being over cautous. also is there a way to view the cd to make sure the pictures are there.anybody ever have any problems with the cd rom method. is it easy to find these places to do this in hoi an.thanks