Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Camera Equipment Bangkok (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/camera-equipment-bangkok-645673/)

Indecisive Sep 11th, 2006 02:10 AM

Camera Equipment Bangkok

Hi
I'd really appreciate some help with a couple of things

I got my itinerary a little mixed up!My flight leaves Phuket on the 16th of Jan and I fly out of Bangkok at 2.30am on the 18th so I really haven't left myself enough time to see Bangkok so instead of flying straight to Phuket on the 2nd Jan I thought perhaps I should stay 2 nights in Bangkok -just do sighseeing and then shop on the way back?

We are looking to get a good camera/ DVD combo thingy so we will have itto record our trip - any recommendations for good shops in Bangkok where we will not get ripped off? I am thinking of staying in the Peninsula on for the first 2 days and then the Marriot on the way back to facilitate shopping?

Howdoes that sounds ( apart from muddled I know!!!)

Thanks

JamesA Sep 11th, 2006 03:56 AM

Cameras are not that cheap in Thailand. If you are buying such an item I would check discount rates from local stores at home, one of the 'big' reasons apart from it probably being cheaper anyway is so that you can 'try it out' at home, some take a bit of getting used to, so use at home, try it out, then once you are on your vacation you know how to use it and hopefully will get great pictures!
I doubt anyone is going to go out to 'rip you off' as it doesn't take long to see the 'average price range' as most places will display, but for everything from cost, getting used to using it, warranty etc I would shop around your local discount store at home.

rhkkmk Sep 11th, 2006 06:24 AM

i would buy something at home so as to have the international guarantee that you might need...

Kathie Sep 11th, 2006 07:12 AM

If you live in the US, prices are much better from internet retailers in the US than anyplace in Asia. As mentioned, there is also the matter of the guarantee. So you are much better off buying at home. And why spend your precious vacation time shopping for something like a camera?

Two nights at the beginning of your trip in Bangko will give you a cahnce to see a little. You'll be jet lagged, so between that and the heat, don't expect to get a lot done. But of course, it's better than not having that time in Bangkok.

I really don't understand your comment about staying at the Marriott to facilitate shopping... The Marriot is not in a major shopping area.

Indecisive Sep 11th, 2006 08:28 AM

Thanks so much

I live in Ireland and cameras etc are very expensive here . I didn't want to spend a lot of our holiday time lookin for a camera but thought it might be easy to pick up a good camera/ recorder to use on the trip as we don't have one

Apologies for my mix up on the hotel
I thought the Marriot was near the MBK shopping Mall - I must be mixed up - still at planning stage!

Thanks

rhkkmk Sep 11th, 2006 08:19 PM

are you stopping off any place on your way to thailand....you might find something in duty free but i doubt it would be a bargain....i still would consider buying at home or in london...try the internet or buy from usa and have it shipped to you....

MaryW Sep 12th, 2006 12:14 AM

There is a camera shop in MBK we sometimes use (mostly for still cameras- at least we mostly want lenses etc) Prices have come down a bit in Bkk and are a bit more or similar to Singapore prices. The shop is Fotofile on the 3rd floor of MBK - there are also quite a few camera shops out at Fortune City (near the underground stop) and the prices are slightly better there.

How they compare to Ireland I don't know but you could try fotofile's website or contact them and at least you will have an idea - address is www.fotofile.net At least it might give you a guide.

Make sure you know what you want as their english in the shop is not all that good - I've watched people in there trying to work out what they want and really not knowing what they are getting!

Indecisive Sep 12th, 2006 02:41 AM

Hi

Thanks so much that has been really helpful

Any recommendations of where to stay -
the Banyan Tree Phuklet changed our reservation so we are now spending 3 nights in Bangkok on the way back. I like the look of the Peninsula . IS this suitable for shopping / sightseeing or should I go for somewhere like the Pathuwman Princess hotel? ( its our honeymoon by the way and our first time in Bangkok)

KimJapan Sep 12th, 2006 03:11 AM

We found the Peninsula to be fine for shopping. Their shuttle boats take you right to the skytrain station and run very often. They are also a nice relaxing way to return to the hotel after shopping or sightseeing.

I really like the Peninsula Hotel a lot, and I think it or the Oriental would be a nice end to your honeymoon.

But, if shopping is the only thing you want to do, then perhaps one of the hotels near the big shopping malls like Siam Paragon or Emporium would be suitable. Although I like the riverside location very much, it takes about 20 minutes or so to take the boat from the Peninsula and then train to get to the Siam or Central stop.

The Pathumwan Princess hotel you mention is not of the same class as the Peninsula. If you wanted somewhere closer to shopping centers, you might try the Four Seasons? That is a lovely hotel, too. Or the Sukhothai?

Kathie Sep 12th, 2006 06:07 AM

I'm with Kim on this. For a first time stay (and honeymoon) in Bangkok, you really do want to be on the river. The Pen and the Oriental are the most luxe places on the river. The Pathumwan Princess is an inexpensive serviced apartment - a number of people here like it - but it is not in any way comperable to the Pen or the Oriental.

You might want to start looking at one of the hotel booking sites such as www.sawasdee.com which will begin to give oyu an idea of which hotels are likely to be comperbale to each other according to price.

rhkkmk Sep 12th, 2006 09:20 AM

the penn would be fantastic for you or the oriental if you want older more traditional digs...

MaryW Sep 12th, 2006 07:48 PM

The Pen is really lovely especially for your honeymoon. There really is no comparison with the P Princess. Although the Princess is convenient for shopping it won't take you long by skytrain from the Pen - one line straight around to MBK - maybe 20 minutes if you don't have a train waiting. MBK area is so so busy and noisy - you'll value the bit of peace coming back to the Pen.

If you want to be closer to the main shopping area try the Intercontinental or Four Seasons.

The P Princess is actually a proper hotel but has serviced apartments as well. Rooms in the hotel are pretty ordinary (if a lot cheaper than the Pen) but you could take a suite - still no comparison in my opinion.

As you are staying at the Banyan Tree in Phuket I think you really would find the PPrincess very disappointing.

andrewmlin Sep 13th, 2006 12:11 PM

In terms of camera equipment, I would also recommend purchasing in the States instead, since you get the guarantees. I am always suspect of purchasing this kind of equipment on the road. Have fun!