Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Cambodian visa question (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/cambodian-visa-question-317168/)

jgg Mar 5th, 2008 01:43 PM

Cambodian visa question

I have been trying for a few days now to do the Cambodian e-visa, but every time I put in our info. and click "next" It just gets stuck and never moves on. I've given up on the e-visa but need to know if we should bring passport size photos to get our visa quicker when we arrive. I recall someone mentioning that you don't need them anymore, but that may have been for the temples.

KimJapan Mar 5th, 2008 02:41 PM

At Siem Reap airport, if you have photos, they use them for the visa application. If you don't have photos (we did not) they scan your passport photo for the application for a fee (variable, $5 for one, $10 for 3 people in our case, others say $1....). It takes no more or less time either way. When you go to the final counter to actually use your visa and enter Cambodia, they take your photo again with a digital camera (everybody). When we went, those with e-visas were no quicker than those without. The application process was quick, it was the actual immigration counter that took forever, regardless of how you got your visa or what type it was.

You don't need photos for the temple pass either. They take a digital picture and use that...cut down on fraud and reselling of passes.

jgg Mar 5th, 2008 03:57 PM

Thanks Kim. One less thing to worry about - we leave 2 weeks from today!

lcuy Mar 5th, 2008 11:11 PM

You don't need the photos for the park pass anymore. Three of us had visa photo, but not my daughter. They just charged us $2US and stapled the money to her application!

We didn't see that the e visa people got through any faster, and I have heard from two people that it took longer and the officials couldn't seem to find the stuff on their computers.

Maybe as they use it more it will get more consistent and efficient.

marysuenyc Mar 6th, 2008 01:07 AM

We used an eVisa when we went to Siem Reap back in February. We loved it as we just walked off the airplane and then right through immigration, in about 7 minutes total. It saved us a lot of time compared to the folks who had to queue up for photos, etc.

msf

dogster Mar 6th, 2008 04:21 AM

I've travelled in and out of Cambodia four times without an e-visa.

Last time I travelled with someone who did. She was out about three minutes before me.

By the time you've faffed around getting the E visa, then come in to Fodor's to share the warmth.. you've used up that missing three minutes anyway.

Dogster's Time and Motion study suggests that, really, you may as well just turn up without the E visa. Not that that'll stop any of you worrying about it...

heymo Mar 7th, 2008 08:50 AM

I'd try again...or e-mail them. Our e-visas saved us at LEAST an hour of waiting in line at the airport...

dogster Mar 7th, 2008 06:09 PM

Heymo: How do you know the other passengers waited at LEAST an hour?

According to your report, you sailed right through and left the airport.

akrobat Mar 7th, 2008 08:06 PM

With regard to purchasing the visa in Siem Reap, can you pay by credit card or is it cash only? If the latter, I assume they take US dollars like the rest of Siem Reap?

dogster Mar 7th, 2008 10:25 PM

Dunno about the credit card - but U.S. $$ is fine. I'd go for that. They'll be useful in Siem Reap anyway. Everybody takes them.

dogster Mar 7th, 2008 10:37 PM

See? I told you you'd get a smack.

I personally carved out the Hippie Trail from London to Australia, flea-pit by flea pit, hashish den by ... well, you get the picture.

Now, if I only remember where it was I went....

dogster Mar 7th, 2008 10:39 PM

Ooops - perhaps if I posted that last comment in the right place it might make some sense. [I don't think you really want to know about my youthful indiscretions in here....]

heymo Mar 13th, 2008 07:55 AM

Dogstar...we spoke to another family staying at our hotel who were on the same flight...they told us they had waited over an hour because they didn't have e-visas.

akrobat Apr 1st, 2008 05:11 PM

Thanks so much for the reply about being able to pay in US dollars.