Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Cambodia Angkor Air or Bangkok Airways (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/cambodia-angkor-air-or-bangkok-airways-973186/)

poutine Apr 5th, 2013 06:44 AM

Cambodia Angkor Air or Bangkok Airways

This title really should read SHOULD I FLY CAMBODIA ANGKOR AIR OR WAIT?

I am looking to fly Bkk - Rep on Dec 30. Bangkok Airways shows that the cheapest fare is Tb 67280 return for 4. It does seem that other days are less expensive, so the cheaper fares must have already been loaded and snapped up immediately (or were never available to begin with). Our schedule is very tight, and I can't move my dates around. This is more money than I can spend for 2.5 days in Siem Reap.

Cambodia Angkor Air is available at US $344 p.p. return according to kayak. Any comments on how reliable an airline this is? I have to catch an onward flight from bkk on the same day I would fly rep to bkk.

I am really disappointed at the moment as I thought I had worked out a stop in Siem Reap to see the temples. :(

Kathie Apr 5th, 2013 10:40 AM

Bangkok Air has long had a monopoly on the Bangkok/Siem Reap route. This start-up airline (Cambodia Angkor Air) now advertises, but I don't know anything about it. If you are flying anywhere else in the area, the Bangkok Air Discovery Pass is a great deal. You need three legs in order to book it.

I'd do some more research on this tiny airline before I'd book it.

rhkkmk Apr 5th, 2013 07:53 PM

my opinion is to be leery of a start-up if i have to fly onwards on the same day..

i would not do it, in fact i never return to bkk on the same day that i have to fly overseas..

silverwool Apr 5th, 2013 11:21 PM

I've flown with Cambodian Angkor Air with no hassles. I think its partially owned by Vietnam Airlines. However that was between Ho Chi Minh City and Siem Reap which may or may not make a difference.

Sam_Sen Apr 6th, 2013 02:56 AM

Cambodia Angkor is fairly ok airline....don't worry

offwego Apr 6th, 2013 09:50 PM

Cambodia Air is Vietnam Air. It's fine. Watch luggage restrictions.

poutine Apr 7th, 2013 09:33 AM

Regarding Cambodia Angkor Air, I did check the internet for reviews and safety info. I saw a number of comments about surly flight attendants, and one comment where the flight left late and the guy missed his connection in BKK. The latter is my greatest worry.

My flight leaves BKK for Phuket at 19:35 on Thai Airways. Cambodia Air has two flights that day:

9:00 arriving at 10:10 or
12:50 arriving at 14:00

I think the second flight gives me a good enough window for a late takeoff. Do you agree? The rest of my journey is on frequent flyer points.

The price is about $900 less than Bangkok Airways.

Another question regarding luggage allowance...since I am leaving from, and returning to BKK three days later, I would like to leave a couple of suitcases there. Is there a reliable left luggage option at BKK?

Thanks for the help. Siem Reap is back on!

Kathie Apr 7th, 2013 10:39 AM

Lori, that is very useful info. Thanks.

poutine, do you know which airport Cambodia Angkor Air flies into in Bangkok? Thai Airways uses BKK. As long as Cambodia Angkor Air flies into BKK (rather than Don Muang) the second flight should get you there in plenty of time.

There is left luggage at BKK, though I just realized that I haven't used it in the new airport - wow! it's been a while!

poutine Apr 7th, 2013 12:26 PM

Kathie, the airports listed on the Cambodia Angkor Air ticket page are BKK and REP. Do you think a 5.5 hour window at the same airport is enough? I will have to get off the Cambodia Air flight, retrieve my left luggage (wherever that is at BKK), and then check back in to my Thai Airways flight to Phuket.

Kathie Apr 7th, 2013 01:59 PM

I think a 5.5 hour window is plenty - even if your flight is an hour late. BKK is enormous - but very well organized.

poutine Apr 8th, 2013 09:12 AM

Thanks everyone. Tickets purchased!

jwoodywild May 3rd, 2013 09:15 AM

FYI - the prices on the Cambodia Angkor Air website are much less than on Kayak for some reason.

Scotters May 4th, 2013 02:16 PM

The reason is taxes,fuel surcharges and airport fees. The base price is 6500 baht plus taxes etc of 3555 = 10055 baht or $338. A difference of a few dollars