Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Calling all IndiaPhiles--a fabulous new India film

Aug 20th, 2005, 05:16 PM
Original Poster

Today at the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston, I saw the US Theatrical premier of "Hari Om" a wonderful film that was filmed on location in Rajasthan. The scenery is breathtaking, the road trips death-defying and the acting superb. This film has won many film festival awards around the world and is about to make its official US debut.

This is not a "Bollywood" movie, but is being heralded as the first "cross over" movie that has strong appeal to western audiences. The film is mostly in English with a few subtitles when required. The gorgeous leading lady is a wonderful French actress, Camille Natta (Isa), and the leading man is Vijay Raaz (Hari). He is an auto rickshaw driver in trouble with gambling debts. You will recognize him from "Monsoon Wedding" The French supporting actor, Jean Marie Lamour, you will remember if you saw "The Swimming Pool." He is the less-than-attentive boyfriend.

The film starts in Jaipur and for various reasons, Isa and Hari end up on a wild auto rickshaw road trip trough Rajasthan. There are only around five official actors in the film. All the rest of the hundreds of people in the film are Rajasthan residents.

For more detail you can see the film website: http:www.hariomfilm.com

A review from the Toronto Film Festival: http://efilmcritic.com/review.php?movie=10507

Anyone who has traveled to India or is anticipating a trip must see this film. Watch for the roll out over the next couple of months.

PS, I have nothing at all to do with this film other than I simply fell in loved with it! You will too. I am a terribly picky film critic--I really don't like many films. This film is fabulous. I am traveling Rajasthan this winter for the first time and am now far more excited about it.
Aug 20th, 2005, 05:33 PM

BH---was it a one day showing or will it continue for a while??

bob
Aug 20th, 2005, 05:46 PM
Original Poster

Hi Bob,

There are two more showings this week. Thursday August 25 at 4PM and Sunday Aug 28 at 11 AM. I am trying to get my NYC friend, who I am traveling to India with, to drive here for the Sunday showing.

Here is the MFA film calendar: http://www.mfa.org/calendar/sub.asp?key=12&subkey=1

If you can possibly see this film this week, see it. It is really fabulous and if you are in the midst of planning your trip to Rajasthan, then it is required
Aug 20th, 2005, 07:45 PM

Thanks for the info, I will try to get a copy at my dvd shop. Have you seen the re-release of a Jean Renoir 1951 film called The River - lovely film set in colonial times about a colonial family and the awakening sexuality of the teenage daughter. Nothing controversial.
Aug 20th, 2005, 08:07 PM

thanks very much...we will see if we can go next sunday...calendar is blank at the moment..
Aug 20th, 2005, 10:48 PM

Thanks for this info. I love serious Indian movies. I will certainly watch out for it as I am going to Rajasthan in Dec. Hope it gets to the California Bay Area.
Aug 21st, 2005, 06:24 AM
Original Poster

Fenno, thanks for the tip on "The River," I will definitely see it before my trip in December.

Any other tips on Fodorites for good documentaries/films to see before my 25 day trip in December/Jan? (Delhi,The Golden Triangle, plus Varanasi, Mumbai)
Aug 21st, 2005, 03:22 PM

Last week I saw Deepa Mehta's films "Earth" and "Fire" and they are simply breathtaking.I am travelling to India in October and am seeing and reading everything I can get my eyes and hands on!
Aug 21st, 2005, 05:17 PM

BostonHarbour do not know if you enjoy the genre but many of the Merchant Ivory films are set in India...a recent release Monsoon Ragas has been getting good reviews tho I am yet to see it...Bride & Prejudice (which I did not like but others I know did)...Gurnidner Chadhas Bend it like Beckham and earlier Bhaji on the Beach, both about Indian immigrant families in the UK...among Hindi movies Saathiya, Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Gham...agree with MassageDiva re Deepa Mehta movies, the third in the trilogy is Water
Aug 21st, 2005, 06:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the film tips. Has anyone seen Short Cut To Nirvana? It is a documentary about the Kumbh Mela spiritual festival that takes place near Allahabad, India, every 12 years. I'm wondering if it is worth searching out.

I will look for the Deepa Mehta films.

Hobbes, thanks for the list--I will look them up.
Aug 24th, 2005, 01:22 AM

We enjoyed 'Bend it Like Bekham' and 'Bride and Predijuice'. 'Monsoon wedding' is good too. Another hilarious one, a spoof on Bollywood is called 'Bollywood Hollywood'. 'Swades'starring India's leading actor, is an excellent recent hindi movie (with english subtitles).