Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Calling All India Experts! (Looking for the shamefully exotic)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19th, 2005, 08:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

But not in price! I am looking for advice on an itinerary for about 2 weeks and most importantly- what time of year? The kind of hotels that I find exotic, are definitely the Samode Palace www.samode.com or the Neemrana Fort Palace www.neemranahotels.com. So I am looking for those kinds of places & prices. I was thinking of about 4 areas starting at Jaipur, Agra and then ? I appreciate any help as this is totally overwhelming! Thank you, A
Old Aug 19th, 2005, 08:42 AM

I would focus on Rajasthan.
Old Aug 19th, 2005, 08:44 AM

The best time to visit India is in the winter - November to February. It is also the busiest and most expensive time for tourists.

I can't advise you on accomodations as shamefully exotic to me is also shamefully expensive. However, for a two week first trip to India you should consider Delhi, Varanasi, Udaipur and Ranthambore National Park in addition to Agra and Jaipur. I think 4 areas total, is just about right for two weeks. You will most likely be flying into Delhi so that should be one of them. Varanasi and Udaipur are a bit out of the way but you have enough time to do one or the other. If you like wildlife and the very small possibility of seeing a tiger then Ranthambore would be a good place to go.
Old Aug 19th, 2005, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks guys, how about months on either side of that in the North maybe October or March April. Is there a huge difference in the weather and is it unbearable?
Old Aug 19th, 2005, 09:45 AM
Original Poster

Rajasthan looks amazing!
Old Aug 19th, 2005, 10:20 AM

I went to Rajasthan in October and it was hot but ok. I would really just focus on that area and save Varanasi for another trip, I also would focus on cultural places rather than Ranthambore. Places to consider are Jodhpur, Jaipur, Mt. Abu (fabulous and non touristy), Udapur, Jaialmer, Dungarpur, Kumbhalgar. And whatever you do don't miss the Jain temples at Ranakpur. It was more of a highlight than the Taj.
Old Aug 19th, 2005, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Gloria, where did you stay if you dont mind me asking? My budget would not got over US$300 per night (maybe a little higher for a splurge) but on average just that much.
Old Aug 19th, 2005, 10:32 AM

Annie -- I was there in 1997 and stayed in wonderful places but there are many more and better ones now I suspect. My whole trip (4 weeks) including a private guide and driver for the whole trip was under $3,500 and I stayed at the best hotel everywhere I went. You should have no problem finding wonderful places for under $300.
Old Aug 19th, 2005, 11:08 AM

I went in February of this year. India has become a very popular destination - hotel prices are rising significantly. Much of what is new (Oberoi chain for example) is on the high end. You will definitely save some money on hotels by working with an india-based travel agent such as Compass Tours
(e-mail Durjay Sengupta: [email protected]).
You would probably be ok in March when temperatures start heading into the 90's. April starts to get unbearable though. April to June is the hot season.

Two weeks is not a lot of time in India. The distances are great. Driving is slow - flying is unpredictable. Trains are a pleasant way to travel. If you took 4 weeks like Gloria did, you could probably cover Rajasthan quite thoroughly but cities like Mt. Abu, Jodhpur, and Jaisalmer are quite a bit out of the way. If you choose Udaipur as a destination then Ranakpur, Kumbhalgarh and Dungarpur are reasonably close by.
Old Aug 20th, 2005, 09:29 AM

Hi there AnnieP! First off, for North India the best months are between October-March, so u should be fine on either end. In terms of exotic and gorgeous places to stay, yes, Rajasthan has unbelievable choices, from Palaces, Villas, Old havelis, heritage properties, etc. For example, in JAIPUR alone u can chose between the Rambagh Palace, Jai Mahal Palace, the OEROI Raj vILLAS, etc. aLSO, dEpending on how much you want to travel, u can cover a part of Rajasthan and also go North adding a few other India regions during your journey, such as a visit to the exotic erotic temples in KHAJURAHO in MADHYA PRADESH and unbeleivable ORCHA too en route, and of course, one of the most unbeleivable places on earth, Varanasi!. HOWEVER, if you are seeking the shamefully luxurious for accomadatitons, KHAJURAHO and Varanasi will offer you just the so-called five star hotel. Best of the lot in these locales would bethe Taj Chandela in KHAJ AND The Taj Ganges in VAranasi. *However, depending on your taste and interests, i might advise to concentrate just on Rajasthan! Places i would suggest in Rajasthan include JAISALMER, UDAIPUR, Ranakpur, jODPHUR, JAIPUR AND Rathambore! In the region, you have such a wonderful choice of exotic places to stay, and of course, you are in the colorfulexotic best of INDIA. pls feel free to contact me for advice/help, as i am a American woman living/working in INDIA and have covered these routes many times. Take care. bonita [email protected]
Old Aug 21st, 2005, 08:59 AM

Annie - check out deogarhmahal.com - this is a little off the tourist trail in Rajasthan - may not fit in with your itinerary - its approx 135 kms NE of Udaipur - but reasonably priced, great food, lovingly restored palace with lots of original features and great views of the country side. Plenty to do for a couple of days in the area.
Old Aug 21st, 2005, 05:58 PM

Agra is a must do and tho not exotic the Amar Vilas (www.oberoihotels.com) is an amazing property. PLan 1 or 2 nights there. Jaipur - Samode is great, take a loo at other hotels on www.heritagehotels.com. I love the Neemrana properties. If you stay at some cheaper properties you might be able to squeeze in a couple nights at the new Aman hotels - www.amanresorts.com and still stay in an average less then US$300/night. Oct or march will be warmer than Nov-Feb but tolerable esp beginning March. You have to fly in and out of Delhi tho you could conceivably transfer directly from the international airport to the Neemrana property which is not far. Else in Delhi you could stay at an offbeat property like Tikli Bottom which actually works very well for the airport but lets you bypass the city entirely - www.tiklibottom.com. I would suggest you work with a travel agent who can organize transfers, hotels (at better than website rates, guides, etc). I can reco www.presidenttravels.com, a boutique firm specializing in Rajasthan.