Buying english books in Beijing

Apr 6th, 2005, 06:31 AM
Original Poster

Buying english books in Beijing

Hi all. My fiancé is obsessed with the Harry Potter series and it turns out that the newest book will be released on July 16, 2005, and we will be in Beijing. I think she might want to get it when it comes out or at least to read on the flight home. So I was wondering what are the chances of purchasing this book there, does anybody know of any good book stores that sell books in English. Also would I be more likely to find this book in Hong Kong. Thanks.
Apr 6th, 2005, 03:54 PM

You are not likely to ge the Engliosh Harry Potter in Beijing as early as its western release date.

The wangfijung bookstore (the huge one) is a good first stop, but the other store, across the street and all the way down has a much beter supply of English books, and more contemporary. It is called Beijing Publications Import and Export Corp and is #235 Wangfujing. English imported books are on floor 2 or 3.
An unofficial translation should be out by then, which makes a cutre souvenir even if she can't read Chinese.

In Hong Kong, at Fenwick Pier, they have US books at US Prices, courtesy of our armed forces. Technically you need a card to enter, but if a ship isn't in, you should have no problem. They should have it at the same time.
Apr 7th, 2005, 03:35 AM

Not sure if it will be available in English on the release date, although most other places in the world seem to have the same release date. For Hong Kong I would suggest the following:

Dymock's
Level 2
International Finance Centre, Central
Tel: (852) 2117 0360
http://www.dymocks.com.au

This is an Australian chain. They have 5 shops in Hong Kong including the one listed above. Their website is in fact showing that you can pre-order a copy, at least at their Australian stores. You may be able to reserve a copy to collect in Hong Kong.

Paddyfield
Suite 23A
Success Commercial Building
245-251 Hennessy Road, Wanchai
Tel: (852) 2511 4211.
http://www.paddyfield.com.
e-mail: [email protected] or [email protected]

This is a small bookshop for English books. I used this shop for a few years when I lived in Hong Kong. I would go onto their website and see if they have a release date, and/or send them an e-mail and ask if you can reserve a copy to collect when you are there. They are very helpful.

Apr 7th, 2005, 05:27 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your help, I will definitely check a few of these places out.
Apr 7th, 2005, 06:11 AM

Another Hong Kong chain that sells mostly English books is Page One. They have stores at some of the largest malls in the city - Harbour City, Festival Walk and Times Square. I'm sure they'll have it.
Apr 7th, 2005, 06:20 AM

Website for Page One is http://www.pageonegroup.com
Apr 7th, 2005, 03:38 PM

Fleet Arcade in Fenwick Pier in HK should have it (penind ship arrival) to coincide with thr release date, but it will be the american version, not the Uk version, if it matters. Other HK book stores will likely have the UK version. Books in HK are pricey!
Apr 7th, 2005, 03:38 PM

Fleet Arcade in Fenwick Pier in HK should have it (pending ship arrival) to coincide with the release date, but it will be the American version, not the UK version, if it matters. Other HK book stores will likely have the UK version. Books in HK are pricey!