Buying computer gear in Akihabara?

Nov 6th, 2009, 04:50 AM
Original Poster

Buying computer gear in Akihabara?

Hello

Since it's made in Japan and not as well distributed in Europe as in the US, I'd like to take advantage of a trip to Japan to go to Akihabara and see if I can get a Planex MZK-W04NU wifi router.

For those of you who know the area well, what stores would you recommend for this type of product?

Thank you.
Nov 6th, 2009, 05:31 AM

A good choice is the Akiba store/building, adjacent to the JR Akihabara station. It's got 8 or 9 floors, and it looked to me to actually be a collection of companies under one roof. Different floors specialize in different types of equipment (computers, cameras, etc.)
Nov 6th, 2009, 10:04 AM

Keep in mind that most of the computer stuff and the inherent instructions you buy there will be in Japanese and keyboards will be also. I guess plug in routers would be alright. I like the Yodobashi Camera shop as quite a few of the younger sales people speak English well. Have never bought anything there though....just window shopping and asking a bunch of questions which the sales people love to answer. Unlike most of the other electronic shops, it is located on the east side of Akihabara Station not the west, in the newer Yodobashi Akiba Building.

Aloha!
Nov 17th, 2009, 04:49 PM

Chatting to my expat friend he tends to do his IT shopping online, as the prices are better. Which is to say, while the prices may be less expensive, they're not going to be bargains, and you may be better off buying your router locally. However, get a quote locally, bring it to Japan, and if you get a substantial discount there, cool.

Which is to say, Akihabara isn't all it's cracked up to be nowadays.

Search this Thread