buying a camera in tokyo airport

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30th, 2003, 05:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be traveling to china thru tokyo airport with a two hour layover--do you think it would be possible to purchase a pentax camera for a great savings there--is it worthwhile trying to do this??? thanks so much in advance--jan
Old Sep 30th, 2003, 06:30 PM

Buy your camera in your home country. Use the internet to shop for prices. Cameras are no longer bargains in duty free shops (especially in Japan).
Old Oct 1st, 2003, 02:04 AM

I agree that there are not as many bargains as there used to be. I bought a CD Player a few years back and then saw same item $20 less in a local store! Even when it comes to perfumes, you often find promotions with free gifts etc is your normal department store. It seems that local discount stores offer a bigger range and often cheaper prices. When I asked one Duty-Free operator why prices where the same or more than local the answer was 'The items ARE tax and duty FREE, however we still add our profit margin which is high because of the very high rents we pay to airport authorities'.
Alcohol seems about the only thing that is cheaper for good brands, but when you can buy a decent local bottle of Gin for $6 it is hardly worth the hassle.
Old Oct 1st, 2003, 07:46 AM
sme

Agreed. You might save a little by buying in Akihabara or Shinjuku in Tokyo (and find the latest models not yet available outside Japan), but you won't find any bargains at the airport.
Old Oct 1st, 2003, 09:48 AM

From price angle, I agree with others. You will not save money at the airport.
What I buy however, are the models not available in my home country. To do this I really have to research what is not available and availability of common consumable items. Afterall, I would be buying a gray market product - while legal, there is no warranty.
Old Oct 1st, 2003, 01:05 PM

When we travelled on NorthWest from China to US our 2 hour layover in Tokyo was in an area with almost no shopping. Very disappointing. I bought some candy. I would have bought lots of stuff but there weren't any shops, just a small counter.
Old Oct 1st, 2003, 04:36 PM

As of today (10/1/03) the US$ is at a 3 year low versus the Yen. Not good if you're converting US$ to Yen.

Check the online prices before you leave to make sure you're not getting a bad deal.
Old Oct 1st, 2003, 06:29 PM

just an added comment....you don't want to buy a camera and take it on an important trip when you have not experimented with it with at least one trial film at home and preferably more films????????