Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Buy Rail Pass or just buy train ticket in Japan?

Old Jul 12th, 2006, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I have read that it may be cheaper to buy a rail pass before japan instead of buying a rountrip ticket in japan even when only going to one destination and back - is this true?

I am in tokyo next week and will be visiting kyoto while there. So in addition to the train from the airport to tokyo, the train from tokyo to kyoto will be the only other trip we're taking.

Which method is recommended? Buy a rail pass now or just get my tickets while there?
Also, which way is more hassle free?

thanks all!
Old Jul 12th, 2006, 08:17 PM
mjs

The cost of a railpass is only alittle more than the cost of a round trip ticket Tokyo/Kyoto. You can also use the pass on the JR rail in Tokyo. Probably worth it in your case if you are also going to use it from or to NRT.
Old Jul 12th, 2006, 11:03 PM

Bonjour cma762,

In addition to being slightly cheaper than the price of a roundtrip ticket, the railpass is valid on the JR trains from the airport to Tokyo and on the JR lines inside Tokyo (Yamanote loop line and Chuo and other crosslines), allowing you to cover much of the city without having to ever figure how to buy a ticket.

Once in Kyoto, you can also use it for any daytrip you like (Nara, for example).

All in all, the railpass is a very good deal.
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 11:56 AM

If you will be going from Narita Airport to Tokyo to Kyoto to Tokyo in 7 days or less then get a 7-day JR Pass. Arrival day is Day 1 of the pass.

If your return to Narita Airport is on or before Day 7 then you can use the 7-day pass for that trip. And, as mentioned by others you can use it in Tokyo or for sidetrips from Tokyo or Kyoto.

If your trip from Kyoto to Tokyo is on Day 8 or later, then you do not need a JR Pass.
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 12:00 PM

As far as the hassle factor goes it is a wash. With a JR Pass you will want to get (free) reserved seats which is pretty much like buying a ticket.