Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   business flights to India, what about Aeroflot?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/business-flights-to-india-what-about-aeroflot-245873/)

Megan Aug 4th, 2002 10:52 AM

business flights to India, what about Aeroflot??

H E L P ! ! ! <BR><BR>I need advice from those who KNOW from experience the most economical and COMFORTABLE way to fly to Delhi from NYC.<BR><BR>I am a seasoned traveler who has done business in India for over 20 years.<BR><BR>I am hoping to introduce my fiance on our honeymoon to India.<BR><BR>He is 65 years old and eager to visit India, but I am very concerned because of some health issues that we try to find the most comfortable alternative. BUT price IS an issue of concern. I have already nailed down my favorite 5 star hotels (usually well $200. pernight) for $100. Now I need to see what the best available airfares are and which is the most comfortable.<BR><BR>ANY IDEAS? <BR><BR>Aeroflot offers thru one booking agent a Business class flight, one stop in Moscow for$2756. But then I believe thru another reservation sight I can get Delta economy for$1760.<BR><BR>If I knew that Aeroflot was splendid and super roomy then we might opt for the extra $ but if it is HORRID then I'm inclined to take the Delta Economy.<BR><BR>Any suggestions from those who know from experience?<BR><BR>tks.<BR><BR>Par

Tanya Roberts Aug 4th, 2002 11:40 AM

You have not said which city you are flying from? Why not take Virgin Atlantic 'Mid-Class', they can fly you from most U.S gateways via London to Delhi.<BR>Mid-Class is 'mid' between Economy/Coach and Business. Wider seats, more legroom, separate check-in, a few extras but the food (which is good anyway ) is the same as Economy.<BR><BR>This would be my suggestion, plus of course you can stopover in London if you wanted.<BR><BR>

megan Aug 4th, 2002 12:17 PM

Tks, Tanya,<BR><BR>I did say we starting from New York.<BR><BR>I'll check out Virgin.

megan Aug 4th, 2002 12:23 PM

tanya,<BR><BR>I just checked Virgin's premium economy. They would charge over $4000. each for what Delta is offering at 1074 for Economy and Aeroflot in Business $$2756. <BR><BR>Too bad! 'cause we love flying Virgin.

Tanya Aug 4th, 2002 02:28 PM

That 4,000 sounds like the 100% full fare, ask around at travel agents as they have better prices. Check the classified ads and any agent with cheap fares, whether they offer Virgin or not always have their own 'contacts', see what they can come up with. Have you tried Air India for cheap Business Class? You might also try Scandinavian Airlines for Economy, although seat pitch etc would be similar to others they are using their new 'Airbus A-340's' on the Delhi route with seat back TV's and I have always found them marvelous, also transit at Copenhagen is stress free, but I would suggest stopping in Copenhagen for a relaxing day, nice city!

Rohit Aug 9th, 2002 09:13 PM

I am not aware of the current business class fares but definetely economy fares to delhi should be maximum around $1000-1100. Try travel agents (specially if you know any Indians)

amy Aug 20th, 2002 04:40 AM

Megan,<BR><BR>Don't have advice about flights for you. But hoping you may have some hotel advice for me! We are planning our first trip to India for this November. We'd like to do 3 days in Delhi, 3 in Agra and possibly 3 in Jaipur. Don't know if this is too ambitious or not and would love to know more about your 'favorite' hotels and how I can get great rates as well.<BR>Thanks for any insight you can provide.

lisa Aug 23rd, 2002 10:55 AM

I'm traveling to India from NYC to Delhi this November and have heard from relatives that Aeroflot may not be terribly reliable. We booked with Air India at a reasonable rate, and got a discount throught a travel agent even further. Price came to about $1200 round trip. Check what travel agents can give you since many can buy bulk rates and pass along a discount.

bob Aug 24th, 2002 06:33 PM

its none of my business but i have to comment...you must be kidding....aeroflot???? do you never want to make it to your first anniversary??? if you go with them bring an extra bag full of spare parts---you'll need them!!!<BR><BR>i had to say it, sorry...try Northwest, British Air (that's how most go from boston), luftanssa, maybe united or i think the virgin sounds just great---they are fabulous

Abs Aug 24th, 2002 09:30 PM

Hello ,<BR><BR>May be you can try Emirates?I had a wonderful experience the last time I travelled to the US in 2000.<BR><BR>since you are a seasoned traveller to India,I don`t need to say more.By the way in which month you are planning your trip?<BR><BR>If you wish you can have good rates for 5 * hotels!<BR><BR>Let me know.Cheers.

Sarah Rey Aug 25th, 2002 12:27 PM

Emirates do not, nor ever have flown to the USA. They plan to do so once their new extra-long-range aircraft are delivered.

megan Aug 26th, 2002 05:03 AM

Thanks ALL for your responses.<BR><BR>here's what I've decided to do. <BR>Aeroflot is definately OUT. It sounds from all accounts to be the most hideous of ALL airlines. I don't think that I want to take another cheapy, Air Kuwait, since there just might be bombs flying in THAT region at that time.<BR><BR>I have gotten a GREAT rate for Business Class from and Indian Travel agent here in NY. $2600. rt NYC-DEL. One stop in London on the way over & NO stops on the return, a direct DEL-NY flight!<BR><BR>I asked some very well off sophisticated Indians living in NYC what they thought of Business Class on Air India and I got a rave review. Clean, comfy, roomy, great food and service. So that is what we will do.<BR><BR>As to the inquiry regarding Hotels that I'd reccommend:<BR><BR>I have done business in India for MANY, MANY years. And I generally have stayed at the Oberoi which is a super elegant if somewhat discreet 5 star in Delhi on the edge of the Delhi Golf Links which offers unusually green and pastoral views in this crowded city.<BR><BR>BUT the problem is when I work SOMEONE ELSE is paying the bill and 5 stars in India are pricey.<BR><BR>I have chosen for this trip to stay in a newer luxury hotel in south Delhi that is able through a travel agent to offer a better rate...still around $200. per night.<BR><BR>I have tried to stay in cheaper hotels before and found them to be mostly dirty and tattered.<BR><BR>I can reccommend that you try through the travel agent that I have found there. His name is Durjay Sengupta and he is with Compass India. He has arranged an incredible, personally designed tour of Delhi and many parts of Rajasthan. Durjay seems to be able to able to get better deals than I could alone. he is also incredibly accomodating and seems to "get it" and has made suggestions that anticipate what I am looking for.<BR><BR>Put Compass India into Google and click on search and you'll find their website. this is coming from someone who would normally NEVER have thought to use a travel agent for India. <BR><BR>Good Luck!

Sarah Rey Aug 26th, 2002 09:49 AM

Bob, I thought people had better respect for Beoing? Aeroflot flys modern 777's and 767's. Actually they have an excellent safety record! It is simple pure perception that they are bad. OK, they are not in the top 10, or maybe to 50, but they aren't 'that bad'.They offer very cheap flights only because people think they are loussy.<BR>Even their Soviet TU-154's and IL-62's are tough planes.<BR>Compare their safety record with many Asian so called modern airlines with good passenger service!