Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Burma in July (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/burma-in-july-917950/)

cakegal Jan 4th, 2012 05:02 AM

Burma in July

The only time I can vacation this year is in July, and we are planning to go to Burma. I have been to SE Asia twice in August and not had any problems with weather or with things being closed in the low season. I am worried it may be different in Burma. It seems that certain areas may be closed/inaccessible and some activities such as Balloons over Bagan close for the summer. Is going to Burma in July worth it, or should I wait until I can go at another time of year (this may be a few years?) Does anyone know anything else that is closed in July, and what areas I will have to leave off of my itinerary ? Thanks.

Smeagol Jan 4th, 2012 06:54 AM

I went in August last year which is considered the monsoon season. It didn't for one minute hamper our plans. We did have rain but not constant. Lori who posts on here ( offwego) went in July lady year. I'll see if I can find and top her trip report. I too couldn't do the balloons which was a shame but if it meant not going for a few years or just missing out on Baloons over Bagan, I'd miss out on the balloon .

Kathie Jan 4th, 2012 07:12 AM

I think it is worth trying to get to Burma sooner rather than later. That said, be prepared for heat and humidity. You will get rain. You really can't get to Mrauk U at that time of the year - 55 inches of rain in July!

Remember that Burma gets relatively few visitors, under 300,000 tourist arrivals per year before 2011. I haven't seen final figures for 2011. So it's not an issue of things being closed. Very little revolves around tourists in Burma.

The advantage will be fewer tourists, prices should be lower and rooms and flights should be easy to book.

cakegal Jan 4th, 2012 01:15 PM

Thanks. We live in New Orleans so heat and humidity isn't a problem! We haven't made an itinerary yet, but are considering Yangon, Bagan, Inle Lake, Mandalay, and Ngapali Beach. These should all be fine? Is there anywhere else we should consider for a July trip?

TruptiTravels Jan 5th, 2012 04:56 AM

Hey cakegal...Burma seems a nice place to visit
Have you ever visited to India...If yes..which all places have you visited ????
Moreover..July is a time when the summers have just ended and Monsoon is just the beginning...
There are different places in India which are simply beautiful at this time..:)
You can contact me if you need any assistance..if by chance you plan a visit to India.

josebtesh Jan 5th, 2012 05:02 AM

Hey Trupti . I am also interested in different places to visit between June 20 and July 20 this year. You mentioned places in India...Please contact me if you have any tip. Thanks a lot ! Jose

offwego Jan 5th, 2012 05:04 PM

Yes I went in July and it was terrific. Not all that hot and apparently it doesn't rain at bagan during that time at all (or so we were told and it did seem awfully dry) We got a bit of rain in the afternoons at Inle but seriously did not hamper things one bit. Get your umbrella and go.