Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Bulgari Bali (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/bulgari-bali-853418/)

kalikiana Aug 6th, 2010 11:55 AM

Bulgari Bali

My husband and I are planning a second honeymoon and have been given the opportunity to stay at the Bulgari hotel in Bali. Does anyone have any experience with this hotel? I had only seen one review on here for it and that was before it had opened...anyone have any updates at all?
We are in the absolute beginning of planning so we haven't narrowed down very many details...I do know we want to go next July for maybe 6 days? While the flight and hotel will be taken care of for us, we will be responsible for paying for all other expenses. I have read through tripadvisor that the restaurants are rather expensive so we'd probably plan on eating out as much as we can...but how far is the hotel from anything else?
We are very active and would really enjoy hiking and sightseeing but I studied dance in school and that's actually what made me want to come to Bali in the first place. So, we'd definitely love to experience some Balinese dance at some point.
Hoping someone has a bit of a review of the hotel? Want to hear more about it from some Fodorites before getting too far into planning.
Thanks so much in advance!

MichaelBKK Aug 6th, 2010 06:07 PM

Can't help with the hotel itself, but I know it's in the Jimbaran area, about 10 minutes or less from the seafood restaurants on the beach. It's also not far from the Uluwatu temple, which is one of the best places to see the Kecek dance. Jimbaran is on the northwest side of 'the bukit' - the hill that forms the teardrop at the south end of Bali. It has some very dramatic cliffs, some with small beaches in between that are very popular with locals.

The best places for hiking are up in the mountains around Ubud in the center of Bali. It will take around two hours driving to get there from Jimbaran. Are you planning to spend just the six days in Bali, or do you have the means to spend some additional time there in another location? If so, you should think about spending a few days in the Ubud area, where you'll find some great walks and a lot more traditional dancing.

rhkkmk Aug 6th, 2010 06:55 PM

this is a very nice area to stay but you should be aware that it is not in any town or a place where you would find shopping or many restaurants, other than the seafood on the beach which is fantastic btw.....but once or twice there is plenty...

food in general is much cheaper in bali than elsewhere....hotels are of course more expensive than restaurants.......the restaurants in sanur and ubud are wonderful and reasonable...

kuluk Aug 7th, 2010 12:48 AM

If you are interested in dance you should definitly plan to come to Ubud. Not only are there many different dances performed for tourists every night,(mostly in temple wantilans) but if your timing is right you could see a dance or at least gamelan music as part of an actual Hindu ceremony, which would be unforgettable for you.

A friend of mine who studies dance in Bali and teaches in California stays here when in Ubud. http://www.balipurnati.com/

marmot Aug 7th, 2010 03:27 PM

kali, I haven't visited the Bulgari so I can't give you a personal impression, but the photos are beautiful. The area that it's in is called the bukit. It's quite arid and undeveloped, aside from plenty of villas and several luxury resorts which coexist with vestiges of surfer culture.

Bulgari is at the very tip of the bukit and would be a substantial drive to civilization, even Jimbaran. Like all the bukit resorts, it's on the cliff over looking the sea, so the views are spectacular, but it's a long hike down to the beach -- and back up!

Bulgari sounds like a beautiful place for peace and serenity, but not a good base for seeing Bali. I sure wouldn't turn down a free offer but perhaps you could combine it with another location.

I agree, for dance you should head for Ubud. You will be able to see dance performances in South Bali -- at the temples and at the resorts -- but you'll have more options and more atmosphere in the Ubud area.

Food is generally not too expensive in Bali (except at hotels where they add 21% tax) but imported wine and alcohol is prohibitively costly.

kalikiana Aug 22nd, 2010 06:29 AM

Thanks everyone very much for the advice. It does sound that even though the hotel will be beautiful, we might be better off staying closer to or in Ubud. Back to the drawing board! :)

filmwill Aug 22nd, 2010 09:18 AM

Why don't you spend 3 nights at the Bulgari and 3 nights in Ubud?

Doesn't necessarily have to be one or the other.

That's what I'd do anyway.