Notices

Budget Hotels in Singapore?

Oct 15th, 2000, 07:16 PM
Zae

Budget Hotels in Singapore?

Hello Friends,

I am a single, Western female who will be arriving in Singapore at about midnight on November 21st. My intention is simply to rest up in Singapore for three or four days before continuing along to Bali.

I have made reservations to stay at the Hotel 81 at No 20 Lorong 16 Geylang. Although the Hotels 81 were appointed the budget hotel for the last year's annual convention of Rotary International, I now find out that they are in a "Red Light District."

Do anyone have first-hand experience to know how safe this is this going to be for me? Would I perhaps do better to make other arrangements? If so, I am open to suggestions for other, more suitable accomodations in Singapore for $30 USD or less a day.

Many thanks for your posts.

Oct 17th, 2000, 01:20 PM
Jeffers

You've probably heardit a hundred times before: Singapore is safe. It's a highly govenment regimented city; so even the red light districts in Singapore are safe.

When I was there last, I stayed at the Victoria Hotel (PTE) Ltd., 87 Victoria Street, Singapore, tel. (65) 3382381, fax (65) 3344853. Room rates were approximately US$30 a night and it was close to the Convention Center. Since that was where I was doing business it suited me fine.

I don't think you'll find them on the Internet though. You may have to telephone or fax.

Oct 21st, 2000, 12:35 PM
Jennifer

Zae,

I'm a Singaporean and I can tell you that Geylang is safe.

The only concern I would have is that Geyland is between Kallang and Aljunied MRT stations so at night you have to walk along some quiet streets, which, no matter where, for a single woman is always not safe. Of course, if you will be taking taxis for your late night ventures, there's no problem then!

The Hotel 81 chain is relatively new and if I remember correctly they also have a few other properties in Joo Chiat. So if the rates are comparable, I would suggest go there instead - still need to walk from Paya Lebar MRT station, but at least you will be walking by the Malay Village, where it's always crowded with people, not to mention more colourful!

Feel free to email me should you need more information.

Search this Thread