Budget Guest Houses/Inns in Bangkok?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7th, 2005, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm new to this site, and to Thailand. Can anyone recommend a safe, well located budget guest house/hotel/Inn in Bangkok. I've read about several but they all look the same.

I'm also wondering where is the best place to stay in Bangkok. I hate Times Square like crowds & high rises...but do not want to be too far away that I can't walk or take a cheap taxi home at night.

Help please for a new Thailand traveler - Thnx!
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 06:20 PM

take a look at this web site for suggestions and prices:

www.huahin.20m.com
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 08:38 PM

1.whats your accomidation budget per day?

2 sukunvit and silom rds may not be for you too many high rises.

3 Well actually bangkok may not be for you it's a bussy place but people are not pushy or agressive as you'd find in NYC or an midle eastern contries.

4 your best bet may be staying in or around the Khao san area there are hundreds of guest houses and verry few high rises. you could easaly find quite streets near the area. and most of the best tourist sites are withing walking distance.
Old Oct 8th, 2005, 09:26 AM

Patumwan House, near MBK mall, is a very clean 8-story serviced apartment hotel. Rates are about $25-35 per day. The place is very basic, but very clean. No pool. There is a very small restaurant that makes some great simple meals though.

The walk from Patumwan House to the nearby main street is down a narrow soi where you will find other cheaper hotels (not sure how good they are) as well as many stands selling street food.

The buildings around Patumwan House are all taller. But the location of Patumwan is actually very quiet and private, even though it is in the middle of the city. It is situated along one of the klongs (canals) and you hear the sound of the commuter boats coming and going, but not the sounds of car traffic or horns or whistles or crowds.
Old Oct 8th, 2005, 12:46 PM

Take a look at Bankgok Christian Guesthouse. It is in a good location, relatively inexpensive, and well-kept. If you observe some not-too-strenuous rules, you'll get along fine. Breakfast, when you eat with other guests as they come and go, gives an opportunity to meet fascinating people. I haven't stayed there since it was remodeled, but I can only guess that it is better than ever. ZZ
Old Oct 8th, 2005, 01:45 PM

I always stay in the eastern part of the city at the Atlanta Hotel down Soi 2 off Sukhumvit Road or the Nana which is pretty much on the corner of Soi 4.

The Atlanta is a bit shabby, but has a pool which makes up for that. A room here wouldrun to around 450B a night.

The Nana is slightly more presentable, also with a pool, and has the Nana Entertainment Plaza attached (three floors of girlie bars) if you want that sort of thing.

The backpacker area is called Banglamphu, and is on the river in the northern district. There are dozens of places here - some guesthouse names for you to try are Dior, PS, Mam's, Home and Garden; or more upmarket are Pra Suri (rec), Chai and Privacy.

Harzer

Old Oct 8th, 2005, 05:36 PM

A good guesthouse in the sukunvit area is Suk 11 - http://www.suk11.com/ It is close to the skytrain station and using this plus the river ferries, you can get to most tourist attractions, restaurants and shopping areas. Cost around 700 baht for double, cheaper for single and has had generaly good reviews. Don't even consider staying at the Atlanta Hotel (dumpy rooms, halls smelling of cat piss etc) or Nana which caters and is quite popular with those wishing to bring back a friend.
In the Khao San road area, where most of the young backpackers stay, there are lots of cheap guesthouses from 300 baht up. A more upscale plce here is Buddy Lodge at 1800 bath and up. http://www.buddylodge.com/
Old Oct 8th, 2005, 09:13 PM

as I've posted IF BALUKA "hates time square" then I really don't think he/she will enjoy being around SUkunvit 0 threw about 40.. unless it's way deep down a soi but then they would be near rama 4 rd or Pechaburi rds which are bussy but don't offer much too see .

Suk 11 is the one of the best places too suggesst when the person wants a good clean, safe guesthouse in the midle of town and action.
Old Oct 9th, 2005, 05:02 AM

The Atlanta hotel is quite famous is some circles - every time I go to BKK I think I'll try it - but when push comes to shove the only reason to be over that side of town is to shop in the malls. Better, IMHO - esp for a first timer - to locate yourself in BackpackerTown (Banglamphu) which is much closer to the sights - Royal Palace, Wat Po, etc, and is served by some useful public bus routes (Chinatown, Train Stn) plus a direct bus from the airport.

It is busy with people, but the traffic is NOTHING LIKE as bad as around Silom/Sukumvit roads. In fact the main drag, Khao San Rd, is closed to traffic in the evenings.

I like the New Siam GH which is in a lane off Pra Athit Rd (450 baht for a nice double/twin room with bath & fan - a bit more with a/c). There is also a chain of "Sawasdee Inns" - Sawasdee Smile, Sawasdee Bangkok, etc, that are a bit more expensive but all well located.

Have fun.

Old Oct 10th, 2005, 11:21 AM

I am planning to Bangkok too. Is there any homestay or guesthouse that give a good Thai atmosphere ?

And how can I make some Thai friends ?

I hope not to be alone during my stay.
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

Many thanks to everyone for your replies....I can't seem to get my head around Bangkok! Everytime I think I've found a decent yet affordable place to stay, I read a poor review on another site.

Important question - is it important to have hot water during Nov travel? I mean is the water ice cold or warm/neutral? I found a really nice GH but no hot water.

Also, anyone ever stayed in Thewet?

Thanks again!! This site has been a big help!
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 07:21 PM

baluka.
what is your budget for accomidations? this would help us search out a good place for ya.

and how long are you staying in the city. if it's a week I may suggest staying in a serviced appartment..
Old Oct 11th, 2005, 06:11 AM

Hi Baluka!

Personally, I think the water is warm enough i.e refreshing, without being chilly, as it is when it comes from the tap/shower.

I even drink the tap water in BKK, as it happens, which says something about me or maybe about the water-supply authorities.

If you have found what appears to be a nice GH go for it, and form your own conclusions. If it doesn't workout there will be another one not far away.

Harzer

Old Oct 11th, 2005, 06:39 AM
Original Poster

Budget....hmmm. I will be in Thailand for two weeks. I would like to keep it to $10 a night. If hot water and air con are so neccessary, I would go up to $15. I'm travelling solo so I will not be sharing costs.

I found a neat place called Shambara Boutique Hotel? Anyone been? It is nicely decorated, and rated well, but shared bathroom and I dont think it has hot water. $8.93 night.

Also, I did check out Sawasdee Bangkok Inn, and that looks decent. I believe it's closer to $15, but has air and hot water.

If anyone has any feedback on these two let me know. I'm just glad to have something reserved prior to getting there alone on my first Asia trip.