Notices

Brunei and what else?

Sep 7th, 2006, 05:17 AM
Original Poster

Brunei and what else?

I am planning to spend a few days in Brunei, and would like to extend the trip to something like 8-9 days. Thinking of Kuala Lumpur, Singapore and/or Java (for Borobodur, which I would really like to see one day). Any recommendation, thoughts about narrowing down the choice? Are there any airline packages available in that area, allowing me to wander around the area for reasonable price?
Sep 7th, 2006, 06:46 AM

Since you are going to be in Brunei, why not spend the rest of your time in Malaysian Borneo, either Sabah or Sarawak or both. Take a look at Kathie's Borneo Trip report posted Nov-Dec 2005.

Malaysian Air does have an airpass. I believe you must fly from your home country to KL on Malayisan Air to get it. The disadvantage of airpasses is that they encourage people to take lots of flights. That's fine if your idea of seeing Malayaia is looking at the airports! But if you want to expereince Malaysia (or Indonesia or Thailand, etc) you need to slow down and spend time in each place.

With an extra 9 days, you want not more than two locations. You could go to Java to see Borobudor (and Prambanam, etc), but the air connections aren't easy. I expect you could fly from Brunei to Jakarta to Jogja and I know you could fly Brunei to SIngapore to Solo. If you opt for Java, spend all of your time there. There is plenty to do and see.
Sep 7th, 2006, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

Thks, Kathie. I have read your report and it is amazing. This urangutang story on Borneo is indeed something very special. I guess Java attracts me a lot though. Borobodur, Merapi, Solo, I have some reading up to do. Thks, you are right that there is more than enough to do in either the KL area or in Java, not to try to combine all into 9 days and end up seeing only airports.

Search this Thread