bringing back woodcarvings to the US

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12th, 2007, 06:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was reading on a bali forum, some Austrailians mentioning that bringing wood carvings may be problematic due to pests that might be in the wood. Is there anything similar at cusoms in the US?
Old Oct 12th, 2007, 06:13 PM

I don't know, but we purchased wood carvings in Fiji. The company shipped them to our home with DHL. I believe there were forms in the box that showed the carvings had been treated for pests. I am not sure if this is very helpful...
Old Oct 12th, 2007, 06:44 PM

I've brought home wood carvings from many places in SE Asia and elsewhere. I was never asked for any proof that teh carvings did not have insects. Indeed, the customs agents were not at all interested in the wood carvings.
Old Oct 13th, 2007, 08:48 PM

I've brought back wood carvings and other wood items from various places around the world too, including SE Asia (but not Indonesia). Never been asked a question about them at US customs.

Australia is a different case though. My wife is Australian and so we go there quite a bit. They've much more particular about what comes in, given that they're in a very isolated and pristine environment (for instance, there's never been rabies in Oz) that could be much more easily impacted by something foriegn getting in. So I'm not at all surprised that the Aussies would have a different experience with things like this.
Old Oct 14th, 2007, 09:49 PM

Coming into Australia from PNZ, they always look carefully at wood and basket products as well as at shoes. If they have the slightest indication of a problem, they spray the items involved.
I would expect the same procedure there with products from other countries. The same items which were inspected when we entered Australia, were not inspected when we entered the United States.
Old Oct 14th, 2007, 10:08 PM

I have had two teak wood hand carved tables shipped back to the US(Hawaii) from Thailand and yes the US does require the wood to be treated with some sort of spray which is usually included in the shipping price.

I don't think there is any requirement when you hand carry it back.

Aloha!