Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Brief notes from Burma (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/brief-notes-from-burma-813939/)

Kathie Nov 11th, 2009 12:41 AM

Brief notes from Burma

At last we are in Burma! We checked in to the Strand - a real oasis in this hot, gritty city. We've done a bit of wandering around, getting ready to go to Shwedagon about sunset.. Rangoon is really hot -hotter than Bangkok so far. And of course, air conditioning is scarce.

I plan to post some notes as I am able, but this will not be a trip report by any means. You'll get the full report and photos when we get home.

Hanuman Nov 11th, 2009 12:51 AM

Glad to hear that you've made it safe and sound! Enjoy Burma and a good respite from the heat is a good foot massage in a nice A/C room. There's one almost opposite Scott's market, they will have a sign out on the street, and it will only cost about $4 per hour.

Wishing you loads of adventures and lots of fun....

Craig Nov 11th, 2009 01:16 AM

Well, you finally made it...

I didn't realize you chose the Strand but its location will be good for wandering. Did you get a good rate? Where are you staying when you return to Yangon?

Hope you enjoyed Shwedagon...

Gpanda Nov 11th, 2009 02:29 AM

Thanks Kathie. We knew you would check in as soon as possible. As always, no penalty.

kmkrnn Nov 11th, 2009 10:41 AM

Looking forward to pictures of Shwedagon at sunset. Continued safe travels.

Femi Nov 11th, 2009 01:10 PM

Glad you've arrived safely, looking forward to more.

hawaiiantraveler Nov 11th, 2009 04:06 PM

Glad to hear that you've made it safe and sound. Is it the indeed the Burma of your dreams? Thanks for checking in.

Aloha!

rhkkmk Nov 11th, 2009 07:54 PM

have a great time and tell cheryl not to spare the film...

ekscrunchy Nov 12th, 2009 01:51 AM

Waiting for more!!!!!

Kathie Nov 13th, 2009 02:42 AM

Hello everyone, We have been incredibly busy and internet access has been difficult here at Inle. It's beautiful and peaceful, so quiet and so dark we can see all kinds of stars.

Kakku yesterday, a punishing 5+ hours of driving over rough roads, but a worthwhile experience. Out on the lake all day today, Samka/Sankar first (wow!) and the whole south end of the lake. Saw one or two other boats of visitors. Cheryl took 500 or 600 photos just today... don't worry, she'll edit. Plus, she got some great videos.

I have so much to tell you all, and I don't have time to do it now. I hope we'll have better access in Bagan.

Craig, we got a great rate at the Strand, are staying there on the way out as well. It's a fabulous place.
Thanks for all of your good wishes.

This is one of those trips that really changes your perspective!

Hanuman Nov 13th, 2009 02:48 AM

Told ya that you'll like it!

Craig Nov 13th, 2009 05:46 AM

Glad to hear its going well. I hope you are taking good notes - can't wait to read your report and to see Cheryl's photos. Internet access in Bagan will likely be spotty as well...

Femi Nov 13th, 2009 10:20 AM

Glad to hear it's going so well.

Kathie Nov 13th, 2009 10:06 PM

Since I have a chance for internet access, I'll write a little.

Indien today, and one of those "you had to be there" moments.

We were climbing the stairs to the pagoda in the quiet of the morning. Suddenly, we heard the strains of familiar music "A Whiter Shade of Pale" - though sung in Burmese. We climbed higher to see the source of the music - the boombox of two workers painting a stupa white.

It is clear that Burma is changing very rapidly.

We'll spend a half a day on the Lake tomorrow, then we fly to Bagan. I'll post from Bagan if I can.

magical Nov 13th, 2009 10:26 PM

Glad you are having a wonderful time.

Your short notes are interesting, and full of promise of more details of a fabulous trip in the making.

"This is one of those trips that really changes your perspective!" Kathie...when you get a chance, can you detail how this trip is changing your perspective on life?

Thanks for posting.

marya_ Nov 14th, 2009 06:56 AM

Kathie, your notes from the field are tantalizing. Since you already are a deeply reflective person who moves among cultures with ease, you have us on the edge of our seats wondering what experiences could be causing the change in perspective alluded to above. We'll be patient, but know that there is considerable interest. Best wishes for glorious onward travels.

toomanyplaces Nov 14th, 2009 07:01 PM

Myanmar - one of my favourite places so far in Asia - amazing temples, scenery, people and very affordable. Sunset from the temples in Bagan - wonderful. Sandpaintings from the locals - beautifully done and affordable. And.. a photographers paradise.

Guenmai Nov 14th, 2009 08:40 PM

Have a great time. I just e-mailed you yesterday. I wasn't sure if you'd already left. Happy Travels!

wmbolman Nov 14th, 2009 09:23 PM

Hello Kathie- We are just back (in Myanmar in October 2009) and loved it!!! The Strand is just around the corner from our favorite restaurant in Yangon- it is called Monsoon. We stayed at the Kandawgi Palace Hotel - awkward name but a wonderful teak palace next to the lake. We could see the Shwedegon Paya from our balcony at night and day.
Buy your longis and fabric at Scotts Market.
If you need anything while in Yangon our travel agent Min Min is [email protected] He is quite helpful telephone +95 (01) 546968 and a good problem solver in the country.
Aloha- Bill and Vicky

Nywoman Nov 15th, 2009 04:49 AM

Hi Kathie,
Have just arrived in Mandalay. Yes Inle was very special.
Enjoy Bagan and the ballon ride.